Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: falls??

falls??

OK I know this might be a off subject,
    but how many folks here have ever fallin out of a tree stand
    I know over my yrs of hunting, back when we used to build tree stands out of other tree's, and I was very young and didn't know any better, and there really wasn't any comercial tree stand on the market, or I never heard or seen any!
    I maybe fell out of about dozen or more, mostly while building them, rather than hunting out of them
    its been a good 20+ yrs now since the last fall(and hope no more too)
    But with so many folks now a days using treestands, I was just wondering how many on this site have had a fall?

I fell back in 2001 from 18 ft i got lucky god was with me that day and i landedn bounced ya iam a little over weight lol but nothing serious bruses nothin broken i left the woods and went to a sporting good store n bought a harness or belt system i dont remember which it was but i have worn one ever sense

No falls for me. I always have a harness on and am tied in from the moment I leave the ground. The closest I've come was when descending in my climber the foot portion of the climber didnt bite as well as I thought and I had a little six inch slide. Not enough to for my harness to catch and I caught myself on my forearms on the summit climber rail. I took a minute to make sure everything was good and continued on down the tree. But six inches of free fall is still enough to make you need a change of underwear.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I've only had one i feel a sleep in a hang on stand and toppled over my harness caught me but I did take a couple of my climbing steps to the ribs but luckily all I had to do was get back on the steps and climb back in. That's why I'm more into hang on stands now days than climbers.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    No falls for me. I always have a harness on and am tied in from the moment I leave the ground. The closest I've come was when descending in my climber the foot portion of the climber didnt bite as well as I thought and I had a little six inch slide. Not enough to for my harness to catch and I caught myself on my forearms on the summit climber rail. I took a minute to make sure everything was good and continued on down the tree. But six inches of free fall is still enough to make you need a change of underwear.

HAHA I have done that with a climber yrs ago, an old Baker climber, didn't ever grab all that well and while going up a smooth bark tree about 8 ft up the bottom lost grip on the tree and did a very fast decent, dragging my forearms and face down the side of the tree, then the dam thing caught and stoped at about a ft off the ground(guess the taper of the tree caused it to grab), and I had my feet in straps, so when it stopped I tipped over the sides a ft off the frong and almost broke both ankles, as mine don't like to bend 90 degree;s to the side above me LOL
    minus some cuts and scrapes, no broken bones
    gut lucky, But even after that I didn't know of any harness's on the market, and no one was using one to climb with
    close calls, us old timer's I think maybe had more of, just due to lack of information, and well the quality of things wasn't up to todays spec's
    all the fall's I had, were a little on the comical side looking back now, , since no major injuries
    well I once fell helping a person build a stand, they had all the ssteps nailed on, or so I thought, but wasn't comfortable on the higher one's
    so I climbed up to help finish, and the l;ast step he nailed on, he only had one nail on each side, and it came off as I was hammering on the platform, standing on his last step
    and fell, and landed on him, Broke his arm, too, I didn't get a scratch
    told him it was his fault, and back then being young and dumbm, we laughed it off
    but was surely lucky over the yrs
    and maybe why I am mostly a ladderstand guy now a days, not that they cannot fail, but feel there are less risky, as I tend to bo9lt them to the tree and together, as to say a climber and a loc's on with more worries of attachment safety issue's to worrry of a failure

I like ladder stands I still dont like hang on especially the part about hanging them and the steps. Plus climbing those little bitty climbing steps/ladders and transitioning into the stand. I'll take my climber over that any day.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well I'm OK with loc on's to a point, and I simply found that when ever I want to use one, I take a 24 ft ladder to hang them, , ratchet strap the ladder to the tree, and it makes for a rock solid stand set up, plus it gives me a chance to see the view before all the work of steps and hanging a stand
    I do this with every set up I do anymore
    I can take the laddre almost any place I can get my atv to, so its been the prefer method for me for last 10 yrs of installing all my stands here in PA
    feels a lot safer too, than a linemans harness or vest , for hanging stand, still tie off on the ladder, but better than just the one

Hunting public doenst afford me the ability to get an extension ladder in and out but I know your hunting circumstances are different. The only thing I would tweek with your set up is to tie off to the ladder and the tree.

I do tie off when up the ladder, and I ratchet strap the ladder to the tree before I climb it LOL
    I used to carry a ladder in on public lands in PA
    up on game lands in SUllivan Co,
    used to use loc's on and then leave the first 2 climbing sticks off, so they didn't grow legs and walk away when I wasn;t there
    was more work for sure, but not too bad
    would ratchet strap the stand the climbing sticks and all to the ladder, and then me and a buddy would walk the ladder in, and hang our stands
    used just a 14 ft ladder, to get stands up about 15 ft then
    ladder was very light empty, so the way out was always more fun than going in LOL

but being able to use a ATV is the way to go for sure!

for ladder stands on public land I like to use a deer cart. Im actually gonig to put up a ladder this year for the first time in a spot since there are no suitable trees where I want to be.

Thread Information