Thread: Safety Harnesses

Safety Harnesses

I am wondering if anyone else has used a rock climbing harness for tree stand.I just bought a 20 feet up brand harness and was wondering if anyone has used one. I had a fall with a four point harness last year and was not to comfy hanging there and definitely a big pain to get back to tree. It seems to make sense to me if u are hooked in the front u mite spin but u will be facing the tree which should make it nicer to get back to tree and recover? I would like to hear from people that has used this 20 feet up harness. It seems to be really comfy.

Safety Harnesses

Man I don't know about that. There is to much of a chance of actually turning up side down most of the climbing harness ive seen are a belt style and buckle low at the waist most of the fall s happen while shooting or getting ready to shoot so you have to remember that both of your hands will be on the bow then you only have two options for attaching to the tree run the rope or strap under your arm or over the shoulder to secure to the tree i would not like either of those options due to the off chance it could get around your neck ,but as long as you feel comfortable with it. If was me I would stick with the four point harness or a hunter safety system ,i say safety over comfort
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

buckstalker I disagree with one point. Must falls happen when people are getting in/out of their tree stand or climbing in a climber. This time is usually when people are most likely to not be tied into the tree. I use a climber and am strapped in the second I step into my stand.

I dont know about the belt systems the key to not falling very far is to have the strap around the tree high enough that you have very litte room to move. I like to have my tether pick up when I get to the edge of my stand. Essentially I am on a very very short leash.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Safety Harnesses

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    buckstalker I disagree with one point. Must falls happen when people are getting in/out of their tree stand or climbing in a climber. This time is usually when people are most likely to not be tied into the tree. I use a climber and am strapped in the second I step into my stand.

I dont know about the belt systems the key to not falling very far is to have the strap around the tree high enough that you have very litte room to move. I like to have my tether pick up when I get to the edge of my stand. Essentially I am on a very very short leash.
    I totally Agree with you there I guess I was more thinking while I was In the stand when mine happend I maybe kinna sorta feel a sleep and toppled over now I replaced the strap with a carabeaner and heavy climbing rope and give my self enough rope to just sit down.this way there is on stretch as far as the slack sewed in now all I have to do is is grab the stand and pull my self back over
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

The prusik hitch is your friend. My sumitt came with a climbing rope with a prusik hitch. Although I use a different harness I still use that climbing rope.

I exclusively use a summit viper so I have railing on the front which is great for those times I decide to take a nap. I would have to try really really hard to manage to fall out of that stand.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

never heard of that brand of safety harness, but don't do much with rock climbing so??
    But many many yrs back long before vest became the rave
    I used to use tree climbing harness's, sadly mostly for hanging stands or even worse, YRS back when we build all our treestands out of wood and tree branches
    made for hands free work/hammering and what nots
    as long as the harness is rated for your weight, and in good sgape it/they should all help or save you in a fall
    I think the MAIN reason more folk and vest makers use the back attachment, is simply so that it never gets in the way of the bow or rifle or weaopn , just less things in front of you then
    and I agree , most falls are when climbing ,and in and out of stands, or so that's what all the things I read says
    all my falls, happened while building tree stands, and one time in the early morning dark, I misssed a bow hanger, and dropped my bow, and tried to grab it, forgetting I was up a tree LOL
    fell 15+ ft out of the tree on the dam bow in the dark, and bent every arrow I had with me, and I was 150 miles from home, and no spares in the truck, My hunt was over before daylight that day
    BUT at least I didn't get hurt, minus a few small cuts and scrapes, Dumb luck I guess LOL

The harness I am talking about I will be using with a climber. I have rock climb before and have taken some descent fall so I feel safe. I fig I'm climbing the tree facing it so if something lets lose I will still be facing tree. The harnes I have bought is also made for hunting they were marketing them heavy last year. I guess the main thing is any harness is better than no harness.

i looked at them on the web but there website says they are out of business. i did see that you can hook the strap on the back of the harness.but i still like having my strap high so there is no possibility of getting up side down as long as you are comfortable with it happy hunting and let us know how it works

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

My job requires me to wear fall protection quite often. I have had to spend countless hours in training. The harness I wear for work has four anchor points but only the back ring is designed for a fall. The other three( front chest ring and two hip rings) are designed for positioning and restraint. I use the tree spider for hunting. It's very similar to the one I use at work. The important things to know is that in the event you fall you want your distance to be short as possible. They rate these systems at 5000 pounds for a reason. Your allowable fall distance should never exceed 6 feet. A 180 pound man develops over 3000 pounds of force in a six foot fall. Also make sure your leg straps are snug on your thighs. I know they are not comfy but if you wear them loose and you happen to fall they will slide up and crush the boys. I have seen some pictures of them exploded from this. Another thing to keep in mind is your rescue strategy. You do not want to be hanging for long. The harness restricts blood flow to your legs and can cause clots. These clots can kill you. You want to get back to your stand or to the ground as soon as possible. I'm not familiar with rock climbing harnesses and there design but I will say this. If you are going to hook to the front ring you are going to have a bit of slack in your lanyard that connects to the tree. Be careful you don't get that looped around anything. Like your leg or arm or neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thread Information