Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are You Giong To Hunt Early ML Season

That's what I was saying earlier they have no clue and now you will really start to see the numbers drop as far as reported harvest # the numbers for archery and gun was just to show why I run and hide during shot gun season. As I don't shot gun hunt and haven't used a m/ l in 5years.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

I'll second that, here in PA< even the game dept claims its a wild guess as to how many are really killed every yr
    yet they sell doe tags on so called" Science" ??
    to keep numbers down in certain places, wonder how they get them magic numbers some yrs!!

they MAKE us check in bears however?, even pull a tooth and take a dna sample now a days
    seems they value bears a lot more here in PA , than deer, which, to be honest, its the deer, and deer huntters that pay all the dam bills for them LOL
    I wish we had check stations for deer
    and I am sure many local business's wish so too, as I am sure it i8sed to generate a lot of extra cash flow for them, as I know every time I checked in a deer in Ohio, I ended up buying a bag or two of ice, then a cold beverage, and a snack or??
    Plus I enjoyed seeing all the pic's of the bucks, many places used to take every yr and place on a wall in there stores,
    A shame
    I personally think, they just don't care as much as they once did, they rely on Computers too much to make life easier, rather than worry about being more accurate

I'll be honest, I might hit up some public land for early ML just to put some meat in the freezer. I'll save my private spots for the bow. As far as the check in system goes...I think it's crazy. Granted it seems like they're cracking down on poaching, but this just makes it so much easier for them. For real , you shoot an 8 pointer, you call and check it in legally, what's to say once you get it cut up you can't go shoot another 8 pointer and use the same tag?

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    I'll be honest, I might hit up some public land for early ML just to put some meat in the freezer. I'll save my private spots for the bow. As far as the check in system goes...I think it's crazy. Granted it seems like they're cracking down on poaching, but this just makes it so much easier for them. For real , you shoot an 8 pointer, you call and check it in legally, what's to say once you get it cut up you can't go shoot another 8 pointer and use the same tag?
    Well if you field tagged the deer the tag would be filled out and then invalid. The much easier scenario, and one I'm sure is used, would be to call in your 8 point as an antlerless deer. This is the part that steams me. I've said for years I'd pay up to $250 for a second buck tag in Ohio. It costs more than that to go anywhere on an out of state hunt.

Lets be more realistic. I use landowner tags at my property. I just make my own tag, this opens the door for all kinds of cheating, if I wanted to do so. I could shoot a buck, make my tag stating it is a either sex tag, attach it to the antlers, take the buck home, check it in on my computer, process the meat, rip of the tag and light a match to it. Now I could make a new landowner tag stating the deer was an antlerless deer and unless the ODNR does a DNA test on my meat I'm good to go. Only catch is that I don't have the hard copy that shows ownership for the antlers if ever checked.

I'll admit I'm not going to do this, but I'm sure some folks will. If the state wants more revenue, they should offer a second or third buck tag at a premium price. Also as a landowner I think the landowner should only get one either sex and one antlerless tag for free. Any more should be bought at regular price.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

HT even more likely on private property is for people to shoot said buck take it to the barn and cut it up and repeat. Another one is people like to have there wives/daughters kids etc get a license and then they use the family members tag on the deer but never call it in. Looks legit in the field unless checked by the odnr.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    You are right, these things have gone on for years. Back in the mid 70's I had a farm of 88 acres that only myself and a good friend could hunt on. For the first few years the hunting was pretty decent. Then the landowner rented a house on the property to a young fella. The following deer season the hunting seemed very slow. On the last day of the season I decided to do a loop drive for my buddy. When I got up by the landowners barn I ran across 4 or 5 sets of deer rib cages and some other bones. I knew right then what had happened to the deer. I played it cool and didn't approach the tenant. The next spring I went to groundhog hunt the field there. The tenant came out as I drove in. He asked what I was doing there. I told him I was going to hunt groundhogs. He asked me if I planned to shoot any big ones, and chuckled. I said I shoot them all, big or small. He said "I mean the big ones that grow antlers". I just smiled and said "It,s a little hot to shoot one today". He said if I got the chance to take one. He then led me inside the barn and showed me two quartered deer with the hide still on them in a freezer. I told him that was a good way to get some easy venison. I walked down the lane to the field and shot a couple of groundhogs. About noon I walked back up to my truck and he approached, asking if I saw any big ones. I said no and told him I was going to town for lunch. I went right to the police station and they contacted the GW. The GW showed up about an hour later and gave him citations and confiscated a couple of guns. The young fella knew I had blown the whistle on him and cussed me up and down. I simply told him some of us play by the rules and he should be more careful who he runs his mouth to. It was one of my more satisfying days afield.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

So I think we all agree that this "check in" system helps poachers and to an extent hurts us real Hunters. I think it's all how you're taught when you get into hunting. Lucky for me, and my brothers, my dad got us into hunting at a pretty young age and taught us right...respect the land, respect the land owners, safety, laws, the list goes on and on. Now I'm able to pass all of this on to my little ones once they start hunting. I took my 3 year old out bow hunting last year for the first time, we didn't see anything but she loved it! Safe to say I'll be taking her out again this year!

yep........................ with my bow

well I know I will not be liked for saying this, But I truely believe that just cause a person owns land, doesn't , no shouldn't mean they can make up a tag
    I personally feel all that want to hunt should have to buy a lic and tag
    having tags of all shapes and sizes, is part of a system that leads to failures and cheaters
    NOT bashing anyone that use's land owner tags, oney is money I guess

just saying, that its an open window for troubles
    and the fact that deer that visit private land, also live on public lands, or can, and vice versa
    can also mean some folks don't chip in to the costs of things by not buying a lic! even if they only hunt theer lands, wildlife is NO one's!
    having the means to own land , shouldn't mean a free tag in my book
    I personally buy every lic and tag I can in PA, and I don't ever use or hunt many species, I look at it, as the fact I enjoy hunting, and its a small price to pay for the sport I enjoy, and if lic sales drop, so does support to wildlife and the power the game dept .'s have to keep hunting legal

as for buying a seond buck tag, I wish that was an option too, even a lottery for a second would be nice
    But I also think , there is more than enought cheaters out there taking two now, giving them a excuse to be seen with a second buck, might make them kill even more
    and by the way,
    I believe the biggest deal with cheapers is simply,
    folks/cheaters just kill a deer, no tag, butcher it up and move on, never even tagging it or trying to hide it
    and its many times very well known who these folks are, and many turn a blind eye, hoping some day they get there due's, which many times never ever happens

Are You Giong To Hunt Early ML Season

Well I be leave if someone pays there mortgage , pays there taxes on property that they own then I see no reason for purchasing a tag now I would say they need to purchase a lic. As of next season I will be buying 80 acres in s/ohio and I think that is one of the only few perks to owning you own property.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Thread Information