Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up there?

PA is hard bear hunting in most places, due to its illegal to bait them and hunt over bait
    EVEN if so many cheaters do so!
    which leaves bears a lot of room to wander, an average bears home range is about 20 SQ miles, so they can be here today and gone tomorrow
    But now with the early archery season, odds can go up, if you can find a corn field they are hitting, as they will be pertty reliable on coming back every day for food, but the problem is still always what part of the field they will hit, they tnd to move boutand not feed in any one section for long
    and archery gear, means you need to be close
    the most produuctive ways to hunt Bears in PA is with large well orginazied drives

Not to try to change your desire to try, just being honest, I think last time I read, odds are like 3%, of kill a bear here in PA, per hunter hunting them
    not so high, as most places that hunt over bait are at about 60% or higher

well maybe i should look at places you can hunt over bait not saying i wouldnt give PA a try just with higher success rates it might be a better idea thanks for the input mrbb

hey no problem, wsn't trying to talk you out of trying PA, as one HUGE advantage in PA is, we have the largest/heaviest bears on average, so that is a big plus for folks wanting a fullsize mount
    500 lb bears are petty common up here and 700 lbs is not un common
    I used to feed a bear that was over 800 lbs, only kbnow cause it got hit by a car in spring and was weighted, over 800, and that was coming out of winter, where they figure it lost over a 100 lbs
    big ol sissy he was LOl

but hunting here is a lower odds for sure than a baited hunt, by a HUGE factor
    and also why you will find very few if any bear outfitters in PA
    if we could bait them here , it would be a easy hunt I think, as bears live by there stomach's BIG time, and easy food is as sure a bet as there can be

Thread Information