Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not quite all there

Not quite all there

So you've got your target buck picked out, tons of cam pics of that big beautiful rack. But when the time comes and the shot is at hand.....your target buck is missing some of that big beautiful rack....maybe not alot but he's nolonger the dream buck in those cam pics....do you take the shot...or let him walk?
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

unless he's busted it to pieces then i will live buy the rule that says you never pass on a deer on the first day of the season that you would gladly take on the last day..
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

well , that's a good question,
    I personally would say it would depend on how busted up, I like character, so a some damage is fine with me
    but as an example, if my goal is say 140 inch buck, and its down to say 120-110 inches, I will let him walk and PRAY he makes it one more yr
    I am not a trophy/score hunter, BUT I have shot my fill of bucks that scored low, and don't want anymore racks, I won't mount anymore
    and to be honest, I think I hate shooting my target bucks, LOL, it takes so many yrs for one to get to the size I want in my area, that I almost feel bad killing it, knowing odds of another next yrs will be lower if I kill it
    its always bitter sweet for me to kill a target buck in my home lands
    out of state, not so much , and I guess that's why out of staters get looked at like they do so often HAHA

Yea I agree. Some small damage is character but if the is quite a lot missing I'm going to pass and hope he makes it to next year even bigger.
    STROTHER INFINITY
    RIPCORD REST
    TRUGLOW SIGHT
    ICS BEMAN ARROWS
    TRU-FIRE RELEASE
    28.5 DRAW 65LBS

Wink

Like the others I agree, if he's not busted up to badly I'd go ahead and take him but if he's busted and broken I'd have to let him walk and wait for next year. I mean even though he's busted up he can still pass on his genes during the rut, also if other Hunters don't know what he originally looked like then they might let him walk too. Now I would have to disagree that I have NO problem shooting my target buck when the shot presents itself, lol. If I put in the time and patience to get on him, then he's done.

Like everyone else it depends on how much damage we are talking. I've let some half racks go that had a huge half left on his head but the other side had already dropped or was busted off.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    unless he's busted it to pieces then i will live buy the rule that says you never pass on a deer on the first day of the season that you would gladly take on the last day..

I feel the same way

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I guess I'm the odd man out here. If they are broken I usually won't take them. This is a prime example of my being very picky as to what I will shoot. This buck was second on my hitlist last season. When I got this photo of him missing his brow tine I made up my mind to let him go if a shot opportunity came. The opportunity never presented itself. This buck hasn't showed himself this season. He may have been killed last gun season, but I really don't know for sure. A lot of guys thought I would have been crazy to let him walk. I just wanted him with his complete rack or not at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0023.jpg  
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    I agree to some extent. But a busted rack in mid November is not the same deer he was with a full rack in October. Just my opinion.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    I guess I'm the odd man out here. If they are broken I usually won't take them. This is a prime example of my being very picky as to what I will shoot. This buck was second on my hitlist last season. When I got this photo of him missing his brow tine I made up my mind to let him go if a shot opportunity came. The opportunity never presented itself. This buck hasn't showed himself this season. He may have been killed last gun season, but I really don't know for sure. A lot of guys thought I would have been crazy to let him walk. I just wanted him with his complete rack or not at all.
    Thats your decision and your call. By the way that is a great looking buck.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information