Thread: new to bow hunting

new to bow hunting

Last year (gun) was my first year ever hunting. This year I want to bow hunt. I hunt private land that butts up against public land.
    I have a decent tri pod I intend to use (I can shoot sitting with all the rails on) Someone recommend lucky buck so I put some out a week ago. Any suggestions? Any tips for a beginner? I have read some recent post about apples. Should I put them out now or later?

Have you been shooting a bow? Gun hunting and bow hunting are completely different ball games. Bow hunting is a lot more challenging and a LOT more of a rush! But i'm going to warn you now...it's addicting! But for real, I would say one of the biggest keys to bow hunting is you have to be accurate and consistent with your shot placement. Even missing by 2-3 inches could cost you your deer. So practice practice practice. What kind of bow are you shooting and what poundage are you pulling?

I have a Mathews Craze, 45 lb pull, 500 grain arrows.I have been practicing from tripod (in the yard) moving it to the woods this week. Pretty accurate right now but do have room for improvement. I never had an interest in hunting until I took my son to a hunter safety course so he could go out with his grandpa. The instructor changed my whole view of hunting so I gathered as much gear as I could and went out. Every day I learned so much. After I got my doe, as soon as she was hung up I went and got a new tag and went right back out. I wasn't ready for the season to be over so I started shed hunting (didn't find any but loved being out there. So if bow hunting is really that much more addictive and more of a rush I may be in trouble

feed them all year and put out minerals and it is very addictive i have actually put down my gun and almost strictly bow hunt i might use my muzzle loader occasionally but thats it

well best advice is to practice practice practice, the more the better, and watch your form, repeat it as close as you can all the time

as for baiting?? I personally don't enjoy hunting over it, and I have read way too many times that big bucks tend to get smart fast about it, and learn to visit it at night
    that being said, I think best way to hunt over bait is to hunt down stream of it, hunt where deer have to walk past to get to it a 100 yrds or so
    hunting over bait gets you busted leaving or getting in a stand, and deer get smart fast ,making them harder to kill then
    I agree feeding all yrs is best, teaches deer its a safer place to eat
    but again, more deer about bait. more eys to bust you drawing a bow.moving or??
    and we all know the youngest and doe show up first
    again a reason to stay back from it in my eye's
    good luck

Thread Information