I agree with what your saying. It's an awesome feeling when a deer is so close you can hear its breath. I also agree with your thoughts on a cross bow. I think it gives the hunter a little to much confidence and leads to mistakes. Where I hunt there used to be a kid that also hunted there. He used a crossbow. He missed a lot. I came across two of his bolts last year. Like I said before unless I can't shoot confidently with my compound I don't plan to use one.

To me the speed would allow for a better arrow and bigger heavier broad head design that would allow for a more lethal shot at realistic yardage. Those of us in the woods are lucky to get 30 yard shots. I shot a small 7 point last year at 27 yards. I unfortunately spine shot him with the first shot. He came in behind me on the left and was by a tree I ranged at 30. So when I got him to stop he was a little closer than I thought. The arrow was stuck in his spine. When he settled down I ranged him at 27. He was turned towards me a little and I had to go through the shoulder to put him down. The arrow blew through and did its job but it would be great if I had no doubt it would penetrate.

Realistically I wonder what it would take to develop these hypothetical speeds. What kind of draw weight are we talking. 100 plus pounds? Next to no let off? I know there are guys that would shoot these but that's not for me. I like my 80% let off. It allows me to hold for quite a while so I can make the best shot possible. I have shot some bows with 60% let off and I don't mind to tell you I'm not a fan. Call me lazy but they are not fun.