Thread: fall plots?

Hybrid View

ok so i think i am going to put in a small fall food plot what do you recommend as far as seed and when do i need to have it in by i will be planting it in central ohio morrow county if that helps at all first time for a plot any advice to make it easier would be nice

well advice again is , get a soil test
    then decide how much $$ you want to spend
    that will help a lot on the what and how
    as for seeds, or what type of seed to plant
    well again, that can be decided with the soil test, and or your budget
    as
    lets say, you plant "X" seed, and your soil is ready NOW for it
    as to wanting to plant"Z" and it means you need to add tons of fertilizer and lime
    and then also, consider, do you want to plant something that will be just for THIS fall, or do you want to plant something that will grow for a few yrs
    if your budget allows to plant what ever you want, when ever
    then, you have to ask yourself , what crops are not the norm in your area
    thus making your lands more attractive to deer in hunting season
    a simple Fall plot that is very easy and not so costly will be forage rape seed, will need pending seed variety between 50-90 days before heavy frosts
    tips,
    burn down the site NOW, get that sil test done NOW, and as soon as you get results back, add that lime, even if its before you turn it over, but AFTER you spray it

then when you turn it over you will mix that lime , as lime takes time to work , and has to make contact with soil to work
    there are many different types of rape/brassicia
    all are great fall food plots
    the one's that make bulbs/turnips, can double the food a plot can make, as to just greens, and they will also hold deer longer once they eat the tops off!

SHot Plot from evolved habitat, and many of the other brnad names all are good seeds, and all will tell you how many days they need to grow before a frost
    CHEAP no brand name seeds from your local Ag store will work too, as for forage rape(no bulp on most of these) or turnips, and what variety they have/can get
    many sell by the lb
    most brand names also sell smaller 1 lb bags too, you can also get a a bag or 2 of different seeds and mix them
    giving a couple different types for deer to pick through
    you can add and mix all types of seeds, add some clover, or chicory to a brassicia plot or??
    sky's the limit
    sorry if this isn't what you want, But I don't live in Ohio, so, not exactly sure where your at or your frost dates
    but feel free to ask me anything, I'm glad to help if I can!

I'm going all out in food plots this year. I have about 40 acres tillable on my farm which I rent to a local farmer. I have him do the majority of my planting in exchange for him getting to farm the rest. I had him plant 6 acres of corn for me last year but the field didn't amount to much because the deer grazed it off before it even had a chance to grow. This year after he planted the 6 acre field in corn I put an electric fence around it. I couldn't believe the results. I never thought 2 fences 30" high would keep deer out but it did! We received some good rain this year and the corn looks really good.

The farmer had 12 acres of winter wheat planted which he recently took off and I'm having him plant that field in clover and radishes as cover crop for the winter. I also am planting about 2 acres in buck forage oats. I had excellent success with the bfo last year. Also this year I planted 26 Realtree Dunstan Chestnuts from Walmart. They've grown about 2 feet since I planted them.

Foodplots and habitat improvements is a lot of work, time and money but is rewarding. My neighboring farmers are all brown and down hunters so I try to give the deer everything they could want on my property.

Food plots get addicting too, after you see improvements they can make too
    but again, the price to get one going doesn't have to be hunge
    there are prime expensive seeds and then cheap seeds, to almost free seeds
    again, being a member of NTF, they sell left over seeds dirt cheap, that can save hundreds when planting time come

Thread Information