If you're just talking about bow equipment... Wasn't sure if you meant EVERYTHING involved in bow hunting. Then I guess my opinion as far as broad heads go get slick tricks, don't get expandables. Being new to bow hunting the last thing you want to do is hit a deer in the shoulder and with slicks you'll probably get enough penetration to make it fatal however with the majority of expandables you're screwed. As far as a bow goes... You don't need anything technical right now. I shot the same $300 bow from 13-23 and killed many of deer with it. And recently i just passed it down to my brother in law and bought a new one this spring.

I'm not too familiar with "starter" bows but if you were to ask me I'd say go PSE or Fred bear. Depends what your price range is. Best thing to do is go to a local shop and shoot EVERYTHING in your price range. Focus on how smooth the bow draws back. How it feels at full draw and then finally the quietness of the bow. I dunno how big you are but as a starter bow don't overdue it with the draw weight. I shot 50lbs till this spring I went to 70. But at 50 I've put an arrow thru a deers shoulder at 25 yds with a 100gr 4 blade muzzy broad head.

You can PM me if you want some more info.