Thread: Arrow Speed?

Arrow Speed?

Hi everyone!

Thought I would start a thread regarding arrow speeds.

It appears that the holy grail of arrow speeds is anything over 400fps. Most bows can't exceed this by more than 20-30fps... from what I've seen.

So..... I'm curious

What's the fastest arrow speed on record?

Why aren't arrow speeds of 500-600fps feasible?

Your input is appreciated! Thanks!

I am sure they can make an arrow go faster, but its doing so in a way that the arrow can be accurate in the hands of a human, as power is increased, the bows get bogger the strings needed and the size and strength of the arrows
    also, as arrows go faster its a lot harder to keep them flying well!
    its also a major issue with shooter form, smaller quirks will be huge issues down range I believe!
    and to be honest, I think major reason is, its not cost productive to make, and well, not needed to hunt with!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Along with what mrbb said it's also likely difficult to build the equipment strong enough to withstand all of the force necessary, from arrows to the actual bow/crossbow. Every year it seems they build something faster though so I would never say it will never happen. There are a lot of tinkerer's out there who love to design and some day there may be a break through.

Big Holla, I agree....some day there will be a break through! I believe it will be in the way the archery limbs are constructed. Rather than a linear design, the revolutionary new limb will be non-linear. This will allow for increased safety, speed and accuracy like never before.

Thread Information