Athletic Greens

View Poll Results: Who do you trust the most with your bow tuning?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Myself - I have learned how to do it and will continue to do it this way!

3 30.00%
  • My Buddy - He knows what to do and I trust him - Plus he's FREE!

0 0%
  • Pro-Shop - I only trust my local pro-shop to handle my tuning needs!

5 50.00%
  • Pro-Shop By Mail - I found THE place to have it done and will send my bow to them!

0 0%
  • No One - I just shoot for fun and don't worry about this crazy talk!

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Tuning - Who Do YOU Trust?

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream

Bow Tuning - Who Do YOU Trust?

OK, topic of the week is (seems to be) Bow Tuning.....you can remain anonymous if you would like and vote or you can add your comments.

The question is: Your bow and it's tuning who have you trusted to do it in the past? Or if you prefer, who will you trust the next time you need something done??

Let's keep it clean and remember, we all will not see everything the same way in life!!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    For me I have learned how to do some steps in tuning over the years but often find myself, when the need arises, to head to my local archery shop for help and/or advice. I don't know enough about the actual tuning of a bow nor do I have the equipment to be able to actually do any of the work other than maybe a rest adjustment.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

this smells like a setup. Haha I've learned to tune my bow by watching and paying attention to what some one is trying to teach me and I still have to go to a proshop to have some things done like tying in a peep I could not tie a knot in a shoe string but I cut and weight my arrows I do my own paper tune and I've ordered a bow press so I can change my own stings and cams Having said that there a lot of guys and gals on here and out in the shooting world that would love to pass on the knowledge they have if you are willing to hear what they have to say I've had a guy at a shoot come up to me and tell me would you mind if I show you something I said sure then on the back half of the Vegas spot shoot I picked up 4x and about 25 points. People want teach and educate I be leave that's why we're hear that's just my opinion
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

well being I started off bow hunting back in the 1980's, long before both many folks knew a ton about so called TUNING< and well, long before I even knew what that meants
    plus I also started shooting bows without sights for many many yrs
    when I got smarter, or maybe more into bow hunting, I started to read all I could, and talk to people I "THOUGHT" knew more than me
    I got lucky I guess, on several levels, NOT Bragging, but I was very good at instinctive shooting, and took to sighst very easy, and was very accurate, and I became friends with a pro shooter, who then opened up his own shop, and I got to spend some time with him in the shop on a regular basis
    letting him help me do all my bows from about mid 1990's till about 2001, when he closed shop, to go work for bear Archery(still there now)
    so I always had a guy that knew more than me, to point out and help set up all my bows for most of my bow hunting career
    I will say, to be 100% honest, having started off with bows that were far from todays quality, and so called in tunes set up per the shooter
    I haven't really ever got a lot better accuracy than back when I first started!, I held nice groups at the ranges I shot at, from 5 yrds to about 50, and when I target shot out to 60-70-80, just for fun, I still shot well(no prize winning, and again not bragging) but I held my own, with bows that never were anything BUT off the shelf and in my hands, many with wrong draw lengths, and all!, I learned to adapt as needed, due to in my early yrs, money was tight, so money rulled the way and what's I had!

so to me, having gear that is all in sync with you/tuned to you, sure can help
    but I truely believe, its not 100% needed to shoot well(well enough to kill a deer at "X" range)
    there is a fine line between accurate and supper accurate, and over kill ( a 3 inch group, a 2 inch group hole for hole)
    sure nice to strive for the best you can, but I feel many get caught up in a lot of hype these days

so I guess I went from zero tuning to turning assisted by a pro! LOL

I guess everyone has their own idea of what tuning is. And I am here to tell you that someone else CANNOT tune your bow 100%...Period.
    Now if you want to pay money and have someone get it close, then that's fine. Most of the people are just bowhunting, and shooting mech heads that don't need a supertune. But at well over 300 fps and fixed blades, you better be supertuned. There were people talking about these tuning people and how good their form is...What if your draw is shorter then theirs, or even worst longer.
    I don't think anybody on here can shoot Longdraw's bow with any kinda form. Let alone draw it back. To many differences in people.
    I'm quite sure mrbb isn't going to let someone sight in has rifle 100%, and I bet he cracks off a couple rounds before he takes it out, just to double check. Because he wants it, the way he wants it, not how someone else wants it.

Well anyways just wanted leave you guys with that note, not that anyone cares.
    Don't ever let the truth get in the way, of a good story

I care mike.it all comes down to educating your self on how to tune properly understanding how all the parts work together and how just everything makes a difference if someone else replaces your string and sets your peep where they think it i supposed to be it throws the set up off the sight group has to moved up not to mention it also changes your anchor point and if the loop is a little high or low then that takes the whole bow out of Wack so for me I will always be my own super tuner nobody knows how I shoot and how my form is better than I do. Not someone who is 500 miles away in a quote proshop calling him self a super tuner his tune will only work for him not me. It amazes me sometimes how people buy into corporate America sales pitches you buy these sights and if you have any problems then its your form or if you have any problems with our supertune then it's your form not our tune that's just idiotic to buy into that you can kill any animal with a $20.00 sights that your can with a $5000.00 it's called practice
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
    I guess everyone has their own idea of what tuning is. And I am here to tell you that someone else CANNOT tune your bow 100%...Period.
    Now if you want to pay money and have someone get it close, then that's fine. Most of the people are just bowhunting, and shooting mech heads that don't need a supertune. But at well over 300 fps and fixed blades, you better be supertuned. There were people talking about these tuning people and how good their form is...What if your draw is shorter then theirs, or even worst longer.
    I don't think anybody on here can shoot Longdraw's bow with any kinda form. Let alone draw it back. To many differences in people.
    I'm quite sure mrbb isn't going to let someone sight in has rifle 100%, and I bet he cracks off a couple rounds before he takes it out, just to double check. Because he wants it, the way he wants it, not how someone else wants it.

well I care Mike!, and I agree, either you set it up as you like, work with someone that knws how to,, or just be haoppy how ever it works asit is!
    those are your most common options, more or less
    OR learn how to make it to your likings, either reading, watching video's or having someone again teach/show you( preferably the RIGHT way, and not just what someone thinks des what)
    But again, I also feel it comes down to how accurate you feel your need to be
    I won't own a rifle that doesn't meet my accuracy standards
    and I am sure many bow guys are the same with there bow/gear
    what one persons feels is enough, another guy might not!
    same goes I think for brnad names too, many folks feel the need way too much to have"X" what ever, or have "X" wok done to it to be happy
    name of the game is enjoying what you hunt with, and being able to make clean kills
    a super tuned bow, or a regular bow that the shooter is happy and accurate enough to make clean kills?
    to each there own!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike F View Post

Mike what about a dual cam system? It does not take an act of god to teach someone how ti hold a bow properly. No amount of tuning will make up for piss poor form no matter how much tunimg you do. If you do tune the bow to the shooter, you would be compromising the output of the bow and causing adverse wear on different parts of the bow like the cams and strings.

Quote Originally Posted by SKO View Post
    Mike what about a dual cam system? It does not take an act of god to teach someone how ti hold a bow properly. No amount of tuning will make up for piss poor form no matter how much tunimg you do. If you do tune the bow to the shooter, you would be compromising the output of the bow and causing adverse wear on different parts of the bow like the cams and strings.
    I don't buy that you can tune a bow for someone who don't have good form if the shooter shoots the same way all the time then how can you not tune for that go to a spot league shoot some time and just stand there and watch them out of 100 people may 3or 4 people have a similar form and the look the same at release would that mean everyone else has poor form and improper tune. And possibly damaging there bow I don't think that would be true. There is no standard for perfect form different coaches teach different ways to hold and shoot a bow I've seen guys leaning way to the rt I've seen them lean forward and to the back so do they all have bad form also. I'm asking i also be leave that poor shooting form as you call it starts at the i.e. pro shop for not taking the time to make sure the bow is properly fitted to the shooter and educating him or her on basic fundamentals now i will say some do most will not i mean really a guy or gal comes and spends 1200.00 and they dont a few extra min to point them in the rt direction and how do you set up a bow for a new shooter thats has never shot before do you tell them here is your new 1200.00 bow come back when you dont have piss poor form and we will tune it then

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    I don't buy that you can tune a bow for someone who don't have good form if the shooter shoots the same way all the time then how can you not tune for that go to a spot league shoot some time and just stand there and watch them out of 100 people may 3or 4 people have a similar form and the look the same at release would that mean everyone else has poor form and improper tune. And possibly damaging there bow I don't think that would be true. There is no standard for perfect form different coaches teach different ways to hold and shoot a bow I've seen guys leaning way to the rt I've seen them lean forward and to the back so do they all have bad form also. I'm asking i also be leave that poor shooting form as you call it starts at the i.e. pro shop for not taking the time to make sure the bow is properly fitted to the shooter and educating him or her on basic fundamentals now i will say some do most will not i mean really a guy or gal comes and spends 1200.00 and they dont a few extra min to point them in the rt direction and how do you set up a bow for a new shooter thats has never shot before do you tell them here is your new 1200.00 bow come back when you dont have piss poor form and we will tune it then
    Your not going to buy anything i say so lets just both agree on that point and move on. Its not worth our time to bicker about it. I think we both can accept that you have had a poor experience at your local shops and think every other shop is like that, thats your hang up and we all accept that. Your perception is your reality you offer opinion and little facts. I will give u a quick example of unusual wear. A friend of mine briught his bow over because he wanted me to look over. his setup and see if i could do any improvements. The bow was setup and shot decent. The only thing i could help him with was the excessive string wear on the serving at the idler wheel. He is now inly going to get ine more year on a string that had at least 2 yeats of life in it.

Thread Information