Athletic Greens
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adjusting my sight pins???

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    No worry, I've been attacked by the best of them. Most times I just sit back and feed them the rope. They almost always hang themselves eventually. You can usually tell in a couple posts if one knows what he or she is talking about.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

well I think the folks on this site this time of yr all have thicker skin LOL
    all the softer folks maybe only show up come hunting season , when they have numbers to stand behind HAHA!
    and to think indians killed game with rock on sticks for arrows! us in the carbon fiber optic age of archery gear!
    and Hortontoter, I guess another option would be to go to instinctive shooting without sights too,
    all the gap and or draw weight arrow weight a hunter can ever want then !! HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well I think the folks on this site this time of yr all have thicker skin LOL
    all the softer folks maybe only show up come hunting season , when they have numbers to stand behind HAHA!
    and to think indians killed game with rock on sticks for arrows! us in the carbon fiber optic age of archery gear!
    and Hortontoter, I guess another option would be to go to instinctive shooting without sights too,
    all the gap and or draw weight arrow weight a hunter can ever want then !! HAHA!
    I do agree with you on this.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

I am by no means an expert... but in my estimation, this is a good problem to have. My Mathews Outback at 70 lbs shoots relatively flat to 28 yds. even though it was sighted in at 20. This means that for 90% of my shots... I only need one pin. I have done exactly what MrBB suggested and my second pin is dialed in from 28-35 yds... which ratchets me up to about 95% of my shots. I removed my fourth pin as I won't likely take a shot any further than 41 yds. (my third pin). I would consider this as customizing your site pins to match the trajectory of your arrows at a given draw weight... which ideally has also been customized based on your size, strength, and shooting preferences. There is no rule that site pins must be aligned in 10yd increments... I believe that is only a custom that has now become antiquated because of modern archery technology. Good Hunting!

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Now that makes a lot of sense. Great idea.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Quote Originally Posted by mneal View Post
    I am by no means an expert... but in my estimation, this is a good problem to have. My Mathews Outback at 70 lbs shoots relatively flat to 28 yds. even though it was sighted in at 20. This means that for 90% of my shots... I only need one pin. I have done exactly what MrBB suggested and my second pin is dialed in from 28-35 yds... which ratchets me up to about 95% of my shots. I removed my fourth pin as I won't likely take a shot any further than 41 yds. (my third pin). I would consider this as customizing your site pins to match the trajectory of your arrows at a given draw weight... which ideally has also been customized based on your size, strength, and shooting preferences. There is no rule that site pins must be aligned in 10yd increments... I believe that is only a custom that has now become antiquated because of modern archery technology. Good Hunting!
    You are completely right mneal, if they are too close then don't worry about even numbers when it comes to yardages. Use the first pin out to X distance max when sighted in at 20 to give you one pin that you find acceptable out to a known distance beyond 20. Note I said acceptable, that means you as the shooter and not anyone else's standards. The second pin can be any number you want after that and so on. Just have to keep it as simple as you can so it isn't confusing when you are taking that shot at a buck at 32 yards LOL!!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

You are 100% correct I had suggested that before we got way off topic there is no standard it's just more of common practice for whatever reason I'm sure that is a topic for another day. Hmmm my z7 shoots the same at 20-26 but I do use a single pin sight so I don't have a sight group problem but I have had said problem in the past with a different set up. But I also set a mark below my 60-65 that will me a clean shot at 10 yards and in if the need would arise but if I would switch to my hunting sights what I do is I find my true 20 yard range when it will not hit the target I come in 5 yards and set the pin and the same with the 30 that way i know I have a 5 yard overlap so if the deer steps out I range him and it says 27 yards I instantly know with out even thing about it 30 yard pin.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

I have one pin out to 35 yards and then my arrows don't fly as flat and i shoot 5 pin tru glo sight looking to upgrade to different sight soon

Thread Information