Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Holla's Rock Hounding Thread

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Look forward to seeing some stuff from you on this SeekerBP!! Never would have thought about a weight. Hmm, my uncle used to always put a minnow trap in the creek near there but I think he just put a couple rocks inside to weigh it down. Good possibility tho. You have any good information on artifacts at all? I search the internet and seems I mostly find stuff people are selling, not really anything that explains what some things would be used for or even what to look for.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

"threaded hole" possible identification

OK, so asking on an artifact forum a couple guys think the "threaded hole" is an actual fossil from what they called a crinoid, sea "animals with rough, spiny surfaces and a special kind of radial symmetry based on five or multiples of five."

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Extension/fossils/crinoid.html

After re-examining the hole I determined the rings actually do not spiral down but are single continuous rings which would support the idea of them being a crinoid. Pretty dang cool though!!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Looks like a logical explanation. And like you said, pretty dang cool.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

So one of the explanations a member of the artifact forum for the red colored rock below was with the smoothness and apparent scraping marks, that it is a hematite stone and it likely use was to be scraped off into a powder form, mixed with fats and oils and used for painting. Painting faces, horses, etc.. Very interesting......

- Thomas Edison

So last night I decide to do some looking at some of my past finds, looking for some petrified wood to show you all, and to my surprise the red stone above wasn't the first hematite stone I have found. Here are several more that I collected over the years. The one in the top right corner, and shown further below, was worn very similar to the one above.

- Thomas Edison

Here are just a few of the petrified wood we have found over the years. Some pieces are large, some very small but here are a few of the good ones!! We have found many different colors and these 3 are good examples of the varying color.

- Thomas Edison

Arrowheads!!

Here is the pride of my small collection. These 2 arrowheads were found within about 30 yards of each other in the stream, in the Big Holla!! Love the color of these too!!

- Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Holla View Post
    This stone has me baffled. It has a perfect hole through it that actually resembles threads. I believe it is a piece of flint type material with a softer stone on the edges, including the place the hole is located. Looking at many examples of Indian artifacts on the internet most holes are not this perfect. It just doesn't make much sense what could have caused it and have that rock be 1/3 of a mile from any house or road and smack dab in the middle of where we have found Indian arrowheads before. If you have any ideas please post up your comments!!

it looks like at onetime it was part of some kind of anchor like a bridge sure is cool for sure though makes me wonder if i try it once maybe i can find some gold yea baby
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Holla View Post
    Here is the pride of my small collection. These 2 arrowheads were found within about 30 yards of each other in the stream, in the Big Holla!! Love the color of these too!!

i have to know did you ever think about it you know what i mean if the would fly true and how far off a new generation bow
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    it looks like at onetime it was part of some kind of anchor like a bridge sure is cool for sure though makes me wonder if i try it once maybe i can find some gold yea baby
    Yep, my mind was really thinking of what it could have been used for but the likelihood that it is simply a fossil is just as cool as well. You don't know how many gold shows I've watched over the years and thought about panning in that stream LOL!! Not many, if any, reports of them ever finding any in that whole area though so I think for now I'll stick to the arrowhead as my treasure!!

Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    i have to know did you ever think about it you know what i mean if the would fly true and how far off a new generation bow
    Oh yes, even just the thought of some guys who have made their own and used them on traditional equipment is so cool. I just love this stuff!!
    - Thomas Edison

Thread Information