Thread: Mother Natures Fury

Hybrid View

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County

Mother Natures Fury

I was very apprehensive making the 60 mile drive this morning to the cabin. I watched the radar closely yesterday and knew that Carrroll County took a pretty good hit. As I turned into my driveway I was pretty shocked at the scene. My first thought was where do I start to clean up this mess.

I surveyed the area close to the cabin and saw that there was no real damage to the structure, but things were a real mess. I couldn't get across my creek due to high water and it was littered with fallen trees. I could see that I had lost at least ten mature hardwoods, mostly oaks. I hate to see the damage up on my higher ground across the creek.

I had no electricity and my freezer in the refrigerator had partially defrosted. The carpet was pretty wet, but not in a real large area. I keep a small shop vac on hand for times like this. It was useless without power, so my T-shirt sufficed as a sponge of sorts. I sopped up what I could and started some clean-up of the grounds. Limbs were everywhere. I piled up most of the large ones near my fire ring and then raked for an hour or so in the driveway. Got the driveway cleared and called it a day.

I stopped at the electric company to report my outage, as I am the only one on my transformer. The lady told me 7-10 days before I have power again. I'm sure I'll be back down over the weekend to do some more clean-up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1003.jpg   IMG_1004.jpg   IMG_1006.jpg   IMG_1007.jpg   IMG_1008.jpg  

I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Limbs like the ones in my driveway are laying everywhere. In the background of this photo you can see some of the trees that hung up in others but are either uprooted or broken off at the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1009.jpg  

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Hate to see the mess you have to deal with Dick. Like you I also hate to see good wood go to waste too.

If I didn't love hunting there as much as I do I'd probably throw in the towel and sell the place(Yeah, right!). This year has been a real pain trying to keep up. But, hey we will get it cleaned up over the next couple of weeks and all will be fine.

Hard to believe how much a piece of ground can get in to your heart. My dad has been having problems with his foot. He helped a little bit this morning and then took up residence on the porch. He kept asking me when I was going to take a break. I told him that I'd quit when I couldn't do any more. He just shook his head and said "I'm glad you and Norma own this place, no one else would work on it constantly to keep it up". I just smiled and kept on working.

The wood that is retrieveable will not go to waste, Chuck. My neighbor will cut most of it up and use for firewood to heat his house in the winter.

well looks like you have some work to do, but like they say, it could always be worse LOL
    and I too hate to see a good tree come over in a storm, takes so long for a tre to get to a certian size,
    fire wood or not, it still sucks
    but better to use than just leave it be!
    and as for keeping the place
    think you would be lost without it
    all the work, is good for the soul, and makes you appreciate all the good times when you just get to relax when your there!
    all the more so!
    if you were colser i'd be glad to help you out, too!

I too, are sorry about your mess. Everything that I can see from the house is OK, but haven't made it to the woods yet.
    Don't ever let the truth get in the way, of a good story

Thread Information