Thread: Howa Axiom Varmint Rifle

Hybrid View

mrbb,
    Thank you for your informative reply!

Actually, my first choice in a rifle brand is a Savage. I've had my eyes set on the model 12FV, in .243 Win., for a while, as my last varmint rifle was the same model in .22-250. I don't mind the carry weight and would rather have the 24" or 26" varmint barrel, for the velocity/accuracy.

I have a friend that owns a few Howa rifles and they're all good shooters. However, with this particular Howa Axiom, I could live without the camo stock and/or the stock configuration. Also, I'd prefer my own choice in optics...instead of what gets "packaged" and force fed to the customer. The power/size of their scope is what I'm looking for, in a varmint hunting scope, as I have no plans to shoot past 400 yards. It's flatter than a road killed squirrel around here and there's always a residence in the next section.

As for a used rifle, I prefer to start out with a new one, so that I know what's been run through it, for how long and the care that was taken during its' ownership.

Bowhunter57
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer nuts: Still under a buck.

well , since I had a gun store and shot hundreds of used rifles, I came to learn first hand , very few folks shoot rifes much
    with exceptions being more bench models and well, semi autos, Ak's AR's and such
    so I get the rather have new, but again, there is nothing wrong with many used rifles, and agai, building one is a great persol thing I feel
    I own several custom built rifles, and love them all, and to be honest, they all didn't cost all that much and I got a rifle ecactly how I wanted it

if your not shooting over 400 yrs, you really don't need a barrel longer than 20 inches, the few FPS your loosing doesn't really make a big difference
    nor does a really heavy barrel in most hunting situation, where you only fire one or 2 shots, and then wait
    far too many folks get caughtup in the hype of a heavy bbl being more accurate
    and that's NOT true, its more about finding a load/bullet combo your rifle likes
    I have a few sub 6 lb rifles that shoot 1/2" groups or smaller at 100 yrds, on thin barrels
    sure it gets hot faster, but first few rounds are deadly!, and I don't end up carrying about a heavy gun to boot, win win for me
    Savages are great rifles
    they have a ton of models, and are about the most accurate out of box rifles on average out there, and many are cost way below what they should be !

But Again, a uded rem, and a custom barrel, finish, optic, can be had for under a grand, pending your optic, and options
    and a custom gun, will also make you feel a little more I think like shooting it!

but to each his own I know

Rifles are something I know a LOT about, been a 1,000 yrd shooter for close to 30 yrs now
    so I have some experience with rifles, plus sold over a few thousand of them too!

Thread Information