Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: food plot update pictures

Hey mrbb, i mowed my clover last night but did cut this lower than six inches do you think it will be alright, shit i hope i didnt mess up by cutting this to short and loose my plot, i just thought if i knocked it down lower when i spray grass killer it would help kill the grass better, i may have totally messed up, sure hope not to much time invested and dollars, Damn.

Maxxis31, HOW low did you cut it??
    clover is pretty hard stuff, so I doubt you will have killed it ,
    BUT cutting it shorter than 6 inches, stuns its growth, thus allowing the grass/weeds to then grow faster as they recover faster than clover does
    so IT should be fine, but if you get HOT dry weather, it can burn down some of it
    clover re seeds it self, so even if you loose some, odds are it will come back, as long as you get a grip on the weeds that compete with it
    ever seen clover in someone's yard, most folks cut there yards pretty short and clover still manages to strive, but its like I said it stuns its growth
    and weakens it some( your thinking to cut it shorter to give it a run over the weeds is backwards thinking, Sorry) does's just the oppisite, as weeds are hardier than clover, so grows back faster , clover wins the war by making shade with its leaves, )
    thus you will NOT want to spray till it gets a few days of good growth after mowing it short, if you can!

and YES, food plots can be pricy
    I had a local farmer come over to spray roundup one, and he accideltly sprayed a 3 month old 4 acre WHitetail clover food plot on me, so I know the costs all too well, and its not just the $$, its to me all the loss of good food to the herd, and all the time loss in the work, that pissed me off the most!
    But hang in there should all be OK!
    you can get a back of Urea, and broadcast it about, it will give clover a boost, if you feel the need! as a extra help! can go about 30 -40 lbs an acre no issues, other than it will also boost the weeds too LOL

hello mrbb, oh i mowed this down to about 3 inches, and i have seen clover bounce back on my lawn just like you said, well it sure is good to know that i didnt totally screw it up, and i sure will wait a few days or so before i spray the grass killer to it, we have had alot of rain here as well so i would like a couple days without rain so the grass killer has a good affect on it, hey thanks for all you input, by the looks of your plots you sure have the knowledge on this topic, thanks again sir.

yeah, if possibl;e wait till the clover in about 5-6 inches before spraying
    as for rain, its been needed up here
    as long as the grass is dry to the touch, you can spray,
    its very small particles that land on it and absorb into it pretty fast, as long as its mostly dry, it gets sucked in from the tips into the roots, so even if the ground is wet, as long as grass is dry, you can spray and all will be just fine!

sounds great, i will give it a dose of Arrest this weekend the weather here is suppose break finally, we have had almost 10 inches of rain here since the begining of June, unbelievable for around these parts, also checked cameras on my bean plot had 8 different buck on it in 2 weeks, i was very surprised not to have any fawn pics yet, plenty of baldies around to, dont quite understand that, again thanks for all your feedback mrbb.

Thread Information