This is a great post to get us thinking about our set-ups. In the past I used to ride the 4-wheeler right into the middle of the property to hunt the best sign. Meanwhile my deer sightings would slowly go down the week or so I was there. Little did I realize at the time that I likely was pushing the deer off the property or at least alerting them to my whereabouts.

I think though rather than look at this as what percentage we are hunting we should be looking at what percentage of our stand locations have excellent access that helps limit spooking deer on the way in and out?? When I joined BHO I thought I knew it all in regards to our property down there in Ohio. But as I stated before with the 4-wheeler access I had a lot to learn. Now most, if not all of my stand locations have very good, if not perfect, access and since then our success has increased dramatically. Of course my dad still insists on riding the 4-wheeler into the middle of the property to hunt stands we placed years ago when I knew it all. But hey, he's over 70 and just the fact he gets out still is well worth the down side.

So, with thinking access routes I would say that I went from hunting 50% or more of the land down to maybe 20-30% over the years.