The urban area I hunt is only 25 acres, using climbers only and have had a killing tree on the edge of this area. I have found that when I move further into the woods the deer are more alert jumpy and have got busted a couple times. I can only hunt this spot maybe once a week even in the killing tree. Last year back in the woods had 6 does come out of bedding area which was maybe 100 yards away and under my stand, of course I could not move, wind was right and all. But they knew something was not in order, when the buck came in he could read their faces or something. he stopped dead behind a tree at 40 yards for couple minutes then turned directly left of his and the does travel line and walked off. Could not have drawn the bow on any of them. If I was edge hunting back in killing tree, almost sure their mood would have been different.
After reading this post it also got me thinking of my main hunting ground. It is set up with wood plots and farm fields. Why not treat each wood plot like the small urban area. The problem is getting the other guys that hunt this area to do the same.