well I agree with Big holla
minerals can be a huge deal this time of yr, and placing them close to water helps a lot
BUt I think you have to ask, what is your goal, to just get pictures or help the deer get some extra or easy food?
apple now will work, so will corn, and any of most of the other other so called deer feeds
I have had great luck with using them pressed blocks of corn minerals and what ever else is in them, at tis time of yr getting a ton of pictures
Tractor supply stores here sell them for like 12 bucks for a 25 lb block
they hold up petty well till you get a lot of rain then they fall apart pretty quick, but
all last yr from May till Aug I used them, and 90% of all the deer hitting there JUST bucks too
doe and fawns seems to stay away, for un known reasons, but that was fine with me, I target bucks more so??
and corn will pull deer and other critters all yr if you can afford to feed them it, a timmer feeder would be best, to help condition them I think but I just use a bigger feeder and only add some from time to time, to get pic's, and to prevent any of it from getting moldy, wet corn in high temps mold grows a lot faster than in colder temps!