Thread: Food and Bedding Plots Are IN!

Hybrid View

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream

Food and Bedding Plots Are IN!

well welcome to the food plot world LOL
    the first plot we did at my cabin, we did it all with a truck, pulled a small disc, and then we had to add 5 tons of lime, and having no lime spreader we improvised, we used my snowmobile trailer, a ton of 40 lb bags of pulverized lime at a time, with 5 guys on the trailer and girlfriend driving thet truck, 2 guys cutting bags open and the rest pouring them off the end of the trailer
    Talks about work and tasting lime! think it took 2 yrs to get the lime out of my truck, as the windoew were down while towing us about
    the local farmer driving by gave us some funny looks for sure, but hey it got it done

all your's look nice, and should pay off big in the yrs to come
    Its a rewarding thing to start and then finish a food plot, or I sure think so

as for your beans, they might last longer than you think, cause,. deer like all new foods , all the mroe so when there ender, so they should be hitting all of it, and not just the beans, making them last longer

If you can, in about 3-4 weeks, if you can hit the clover and beans with a couple bags of Urea, it will give them a great boost
    and if there round up ready beans, come bacjk and spray them when they get to about10-12 inches tall
    this way if they get hammered buy Aug, you can very easily just grab a bag of CHeap Agway rape seed(same as a brassicia) and just broadcast some seds in the beans in a rain
    and they will come up, as long as its pertty weed free
    I been doing this for a couple yrs now with great luck, the taller beans seem to provide a little cover the deer like as they eat the brassicia./rape then !
    My local Agway sells a 50 lb bag for 48 bucks, can plant like 6+ acres with that, but they also sell it by the lb too!
    much cheaper than a brand name for almost the same stuff, and since it has to be planted every yr, an easy boost to a beans plot that has been worked hard by the deer, and a pain free planting too!

Not a bad idea on the Round-Up in a few weeks mrbb as I know they are Round-Up ready. Just don't want to kill out the sorghum though as I really want that tall wall of stuff there. Like my buddy said too, we can rough up the ground some this summer if they are all ate off and plant some more beans again. Cannot wait to get back down there in the next couple months to see the progress. Will update here if and when I do.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Those are going to be some great plots. All the rain we have had should help things along. I quit maintaing my small plot this year as it never really panned out due to not enough sun reaches it. I'll keep the edges mowed as many scrapes appear along the edges every fall.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

well I hear you on having some cover in a plot, it does seem to help deer come out sooner
    one of the reasons I been thinking about trying them hybred soybeans they have now that grow to 6 ft tall, as if I could get them about half of that, I think that would be awespme , but I hear you really need to fence it off to get that height in them.

they do sell I am sure some chemical that will help keep grass out but not hurt the sorghum, I think its 2-4-d, its a widly used chemical in many of todays comercial food crops
    see below
    just something to think about
    as like I said, if you cna keep it some what weed free, come lat Aug, it should be a good place to throw some rape seed and have a new food source just before winter

this is the stuff, just make sure its mixed right, like all chemicals, thats key to them working the right way!
    I am like 99% sure it will not hurt round up ready beans too! but double check, know its safe on round up ready corn, so think there the same deal, but not 100 %
    2,4-D
    2,4-D is a broadleaf killer that has been around under many brand names for many years. It will not kill grasses. Grain sorghum infested with coffeeweed, ragweed, jimsonweed, morning glory or any other broadleaf qualifies for 2,4-D application. Grain sorghum is a little sensitive to 2,4-D, so read the label carefully and do not increase the label rate. Atrazine is a great herbicide for grain sorghum or corn, but is a controlled chemical requiring a private pesticide applicator license. 2,4-D,, is available over the counter with no license required.

Thread Information