Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help/advice????

If you got land to hunt already why are you leasing? Price seems high to me at $23.00 per acre, no way I'd pay $666 to hunt 86 acres for one season.

the property is like 5 mins from house and the other properties are small tracts less then 10 ac between the two of them but i have shot deer out of them consistently they just get pressured fairly quick..................... but here is a question for whoever do you think it would be wrong to ask for a very reduced rate on this lease and let him use us as lab rats or how ever you would say it to let him know whats there and since he is just basing deer population on that he found five deer stands or how would you approach this i dont want to be rude but the bucks antlers are just growing back and he has no pics or anything

oh did i forget to mention it is the lease that is listed on this forum as half tillable but it has been planted with corn hard to hunt standing corn with a bow

well like I said, when considering price, adding in fuel costs, lodging and likes, play a big role these days, or they do for me, most of my out of state hunts, the fuel costs to get there and back far out costs the price to hunt there
    BUT like I say, if your not comfortable with the price, it never hurts to ask if he can maybe go lower, never know till you ask
    I wouldn't worry about asking him, just tell him why you are asking
    like due to worries about other people walking in on you since there is PROOF people are hunting it /
    plus the fact its a smaller amount of huntable lands as to acre's
    But if you look on sites like Base camp leasing and such, it will show what average lease's are going for per acre
    maybe find some close by and see what there going for, and if lower show him them, and maybe he will see he is high
    BUt watch out, as if you guys kill BIG bucks fisrt yr he could very easily ask for a higher price next yr
    and that is many times why I say maybe ask about a first yr feeler, and then if you like, say to him you will take it for a longer term lease, maybe paying the second yr in advance after the feeler out,
    having to find new people to lease isn't fun for most land owners
    but again, having everything in writing protects all in the game
    so I strongly recommend having what can be done /not be done, prices, and all else in writting
    good luck

ok so lets say there are 45 ac that can be hunted and i was to ask for a feeler year what would you tell him you would like to pay

well again, price com,es down to many things, first being what you are willing to pay being number one!
    I would look at what other lease's are going for in your area, and then base it some what on that
    but price again is really what you feel , your willing to pay, as its your money!
    cehck out
    Basecampleasing.com, and look at lease's in the same county, he has a map by county on the site
    it will give you an idea of what lease's are getting per acre in the area
    from there its what ever you feel its worth
    and again, if you go low ball, and then you kill BIG bucks, he can very easily want a LOT more next yr, and use your results as reason why he is asking more, giving him trail cam pic's will only help him sell the lease next yr too
    so keep that in mind
    and again the fact it is so close, to me would be worth paying a little above average per acre, svaing me time and money and allowing me hunts per season
    BUT only if the land is worth hunting! quality of land is HUGE these days
    and also why so many folks do QDM improvements on there lands
    a SO SO land, can be made a lot better, BUT only if 2 things
    one its large enough to hold and age deer, and or, if neighbor are willing to be on a like wise playing field on QDM goals
    as like I said, if you pass on 120's looking for 140+ deer, and NON or most of the neighbors don't
    its very very hard to get deer the size you want
    sure some will make it , but not nearly as many as if more folks about the lands have same plans/goals
    I know I live and hunt on lands like this, I pass on deer hoping they make it to older ages, and all my neighbors shoot 75+ % of my bucks every yr I am passing on!
    SUCKS
    but thats how many hunters have it
    but when l;easing and your spending $$$ , you have to take that into account I think
    you can stop in and talk to neighbors too you know, and see what they kill or don'ty?
    never hurts to ask questions before spending!

$2k for 86 acres with half huntable/holding deer with no proven track record of deer harvests or buck sizes??? sounds like the guy wants to make some quick money off unproven ground...proven ground with harvest records and trail cam pics from 10 years i guess $2k is okay...86 acres isn't much land to hold deer when half is field and remember open field corn stubble this fall...unless that property is a good travel area between other properties...i'd find out what the deer population and harvest is on all surrounding properties...i think you are taking quite a chance for that much money...but as others have mentioned finding good hunting land close to home can be very important too and peace of mind knowing you have a place to hunt every year and having a place to call your own to set up trail cams, etc...so i guess scout the land hard and look for scrapes and rubs and ask around about deer populations in that area and harvest...also see if you can leave cameras up for a couple weeks minimum as it usually takes a couple weeks for deer to find a mineral lick, or sometimes a year or so before they really hit it hard...good luck!
    Will hunt for food...will work for beer.
    Leave'r Right There!

Find out what the going rate per acre to lease in that area is...ask around a little bit with locals...here in pa it is only $7 to $10 per acre but we're usually looking at much bigger parcels.
    Will hunt for food...will work for beer.
    Leave'r Right There!

well went and looked at lease as well as one other person not bad property but very thick and didnt feel comfortable paying the 2000 dollars with no idea as to what was there other than tracks and stands so we passed i guess the other guys got there 5 mins before us and told them they would pay the full 2000 for it with out looking at it first so what do you think the landowner did

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    One thing's for sure, the demand is still out there and if someone is willing to pay that much then the price was likely in the ball park then. Thick is always good to hold deer and good deer at that though.

Thread Information