well like I said, when considering price, adding in fuel costs, lodging and likes, play a big role these days, or they do for me, most of my out of state hunts, the fuel costs to get there and back far out costs the price to hunt there
BUT like I say, if your not comfortable with the price, it never hurts to ask if he can maybe go lower, never know till you ask
I wouldn't worry about asking him, just tell him why you are asking
like due to worries about other people walking in on you since there is PROOF people are hunting it /
plus the fact its a smaller amount of huntable lands as to acre's
But if you look on sites like Base camp leasing and such, it will show what average lease's are going for per acre
maybe find some close by and see what there going for, and if lower show him them, and maybe he will see he is high
BUt watch out, as if you guys kill BIG bucks fisrt yr he could very easily ask for a higher price next yr
and that is many times why I say maybe ask about a first yr feeler, and then if you like, say to him you will take it for a longer term lease, maybe paying the second yr in advance after the feeler out,
having to find new people to lease isn't fun for most land owners
but again, having everything in writing protects all in the game
so I strongly recommend having what can be done /not be done, prices, and all else in writting
good luck