Thread: Caring for your shoulder mount Please Help

Caring for your shoulder mount Please Help

Hey guys I have a big problem I had to store a few of my shoulder mounts in a closet at my parents home for a couple of years. I pulled them out and all were fine except one must of been sitting wrong in the closet. On the right side of the neck there are 3 small patches of hair sticking up. How can I get them to go down I have heard to just wrap plastic wrap around it and let it sit for a couple of days? Dose this work? I would appreciate any help I can get I can't find any info on the Internet thank you

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Hmm, that's a good question. I wonder if you were to dampen the hairs would that help lay them back down? The plastic wrap sounds like it may work as well. Hopefully someone with taxidermy experience can chime in to help you bflem55!!

Well I am no taxidermist, but I do know that they use pins to hold things down, thus foam forms
    and a tanned hide is soft?
    Can dampen the hair and then pin a piece of cardboard over the section, I would also think the plastic wrap or even an ace bandage can work, but it might flatten the hair all around too??
    I would stop at a local shop and ask, seems like a simple issue
    and or ask for a couple of there pins? They have a "T" head on them, to help hold pressure against parts of a mount!
    Maybe even wet area, hold down with a piece of screen, and use a hair dryer , to dry it in correct way!??
    good luck, let us know how it works out! Never know who else might need to know some day

You can just dampen the hair and brush it out. Water won't hurt the mount unless you soak it for a while.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Per advice of my taxidermist I've used Baby Oil on my shoulder mount once a year since 1976. I apply it on my hand going the direction the hair lays. Then I comb the hair with a fine tooth comb. I do all the hair except inside the ears. I use a liberal amount on the nose and clean the eyes with a dry cloth. The mount looks almost as good as the day I picked it up 36 years ago.

I'd think wetting the hair would work to get it to lay. Once it lays you could use the Baby Oil. But, things have changed in the taxidermy world since 1976, so you may want to consult a taxidermist before using what I have..
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thread Information