Thread: Columbus Ohio

Columbus Ohio

It's been a WHILE since I've posted here guys, I was wondering if anyone here lives in/near columbus? I lived in Washington D.C. since January and honestly I don't think I can be here much longer. It's too crowded and there's no such thing as hunting land within 40 miles, I gotta drive 30 miles just to shoot my bow and can't do that on a weekday cuz the traffic is too heavy. The place available to hunt are military bases and you can only scout for the month of sepetember and in april.

Anyways I'm 24 and wondering what the city is like? Is it a younger group of people, is it crowded? If I live outside of it would it be a ridiculous commute into work, i'd like to live outside to have a backyard and to be closer to hunting properties. I've never moved somewhere and not known anyone so this would be my first time and I'm a bit nervous with the whole meeting people part.

I'm in Columbus and to be honest its not that bad. Sure you have your traffic problems but nothing like the east coast. Columbus known as the cow town is the little city that wants to be big.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    I don't know a lot about Columbus other than my drive around it heading to the SE. Traffic can be hectic at times on I-475 during rush hour but not much different than any other place I travel through to get down that way, including Detroit which does suck! With Ohio State there I'd say the North end of Columbus would be more of a college town? That would be my guess anyways.

well I don't live in Columbus either, but I have driven through it many times
    traffic can be a killer thats for sure at times, like any bigger city
    But I do think its less crazy that DC that's for sure, My sister worked in DC for 2 yrs
    you don't have to go too fat outside of columbus to find much more rural area's than in DC as well
    plus a TON more hunting grounds that's for sure too!
    I would say that just getting about 15 miles past main city life and it gets rural from all my drives in the area, farther outside of city limits, more you get into more rural and then farm lands, Its less than an hr drive to some of the best deer hunting in the country too if you ask me, and more and more folks are getting into city deer hunting too, killing some slammers to those that don't mind working to get permission and hunting in backyards and such!

thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm set on going there. I don't think I can be in DC much longer, and the fact that hunting is so close and I can scout on the land all year long really makes it more favorable than DC. I looked it up and one of the firms I looked at is 30 miles away from where my dad and I hunted last fall. And as far as traffic goes I dunno if it could compare to here haha it's taken me over an hour to go ten miles...

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Anything on that East Coast is crazy with traffic. Won't be nearly as bad. 30 miles from where you have hunted is a breeze for ya!!

I'm very very very slightly hesitant about moving just cuz I've made friends here in DC and I like my job here but something just doesn't feel right. If it was the same job and same friends outside of DC I'd probably love it but it's not. Growing up I always hunted public land in PA and it was tough hunting, my biggest buck out of the 4 I've shot barely crosses the 100" mark. I've always dreamed of living in whitetail country and possibly obtaining private property and I feel I can accomplish this in columbus. I dunno if it's crazy of me to chase this dream or not but i figured I'm young and single, so I think I'm gonna take the leap.

well I say go for it, as you said it, your only young once, and might as well try, or you might regret it.
    DC is a tuff place to work and live
    if you can make it thereI think you will be fine else where, just make sure you have a job lined up, as jobs, and GOOD jobs are not easy to come by
    leaving a good job is a hard step to get over, so be careful on that part

Columbus is a decent city. Good restaurants, plenty to do, and crime is not too bad. Much less of the cramped urban feel compared to DC, and as has been said above, you can be out in good hunting country in about a half hours drive if you avoid rush hour. Also with the new urban deer hunting zones, I have heard that there is some pretty good hunting to be had within the city. Good luck with your decision.

Thread Information