Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blockcade

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County

The Blockcade

A friend of mine, my wife and I completed phase one of my attempt to funnel deer at my property. This natural "man made" fence runs approx 60 yards long and only took about five hours to complete. I will keep adding brush to it over time to keep it in place. We did this project on April 21. I put up a camera on April 28 and started getting photos that night. My Porta-Pot stand is about 35 yards to the right but not in the photos. My hope is that the fence will help to get the deer traveling along this hillside between the fence and my stand. After watching the deer movement on my property for eight years I know this area is already a main travel route. I'm hoping the fence just narrows down the path the deer travel.

I pulled the camera card yesterday and so far so good. Even the grey fox choose the side of the fence towards my stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0245.jpg   PICT0246.jpg   PICT0251.jpg  
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Was looking forward to seeing your progress on that Hortontoter. Looks like it's working as you had hoped!! That really is a great idea to help persuade deer your way and sometimes it doesn't have to be 20 ft high to get it done. I have one stand that I really need to get something like this done. Had been thinking of dropping a few trees but in the meantime maybe I should look at a simple pile of brush or two to get the job done. Excellent job!

We did hinge cut two small trees during this project. Most of the brush came from a large oak that had fallen two years ago. My neighbor cut the bulk of the tree up for firewood and had left most of the top. We cut the limbs from the top in large long pieces and drug them to place them between existing trees to create the fence. I had planned to use metal fencing, but I like the natural look much better. And if the idea is a flop it can just decay over time.

OK I don't know if this is anything you would do, or be willing to try, but a big dairy farmer near me told me this YRS ago, never tried it
    But he says if you place a few old tires laying down deer will not jump over or walk over them, the hole in the middle confuses them and thus they will always go around them? unless really being pushed and themn they will of course just leap over them
    But could be something pretty easy to come by and try if your stacking tree's and brush doesn
    t work out in a few spots!
    Just a tip I forgot I knew LOL

Looks like its working really well hortontoter, hope it will produce for ya this fall.
    no matter the language, everyone understands a punch in the mouth!

Thats coming along nicely. I hope it works for you.

I never heard of the tire idea, could work though. Stacked tires could make an inexpensive fence too. Only thing bad about tires is they will be there forever unless someone removes them.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Tires would work but they are also an eyesore if you enjoy the aesthetics of the woods. Also, if you have any problems with West Nile Virus in your area tires are known to be perfect breeding grounds for mosquitoes. The brush is great, can be replenished any time and left to rot like you said Hortontoter. Not to mention critters will use it for their homes.

Yes the tires don't look good and to make breeding grounds for mosquiteos
    and why I never tried it
    I guess you could drill a lot of holes in them so they don't hold water to help solve that part!
    I was told the center hole confusses deer/cows, they cannot tell how deep, thus avoid them!
    Just passing on a tip I heard, and I know so many country folks have tires laying around, so??

I look forward to hearing about results of this blockade. I have read countless articles about using this strategy. I've funneled deer by cutting a path through a clear cut to encourage use of the path apast my stand but never tried blocking rather than opening. What I find around here is that it is so thick everywhere that deer immediately turn my "getting to treestand paths" into deer paths! I have a few paces where I need to try the blockade idea myself.

Thread Information