Thread: public land

Hybrid View

Well I agree that most of SE ohio is rather hilly, but there are still many farm lands, and food plots onn many of the public huntig area's
    and the easier spots get the most pressure for sure, as most folks like the easy accdss, in and out places!
    But Morgan/Athens co. And there bordering counties, all have some great public area's and hold some slammer bucks, but again, so does almost any where in Ohio.
    In Or near Nielsonville is the Wayne head quarters, and its a great place to visit, they have great maps for free, the rangers there have always been nice, and who knows what tips they can tell you about where to try, I would strongly suggest a visit there if you travel to that area.
    You can ask about farmers in the area with crop damage, or that might allow access if asked?
    and like I said, Google earth is a great tool, to look at things some what before going?
    find several like spots, then go and look at them, that is always best, as it will show elevation(hilly or flat), water and farms near by,houses,and so on, saving a bunch of time walking some what, and a head start on where to look once in Ohio!

well i think im going to hunt the Ironton Ranger District. im hoping to get some scouting time in this summer. anyone have any advise for this area? whats the hunting presure like compared to the other areas of the wayne?

I'd say all three units have quite a bit of pressure but Ironton maybe the least, those hills shouldn't bother you considering where you are coming from, I live near the Ironton unit, make sure you travel up state route 93 and get a bite to eat at one of the several places in oak hill. If you need sporting goods you can get anything you need at Lakeview Grocery and Sporting Goods which is right outside oak hill on StateRoute279 beside Jackson lake, there's a campground at Jackson lake also, check out the oak hill area chamber of commerce's Facebook page for more information, we have our visitors guide and business directory posted on there. If you have any questions on the oak hill area message the Facebook page and I'll try to answer them. I'm the president of the chamber. Good luck and enjoy the area.

Thread Information