Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2013 Spring Turkey Hunting Daily Reports

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I think I'm hunting the same county as you fellas are. I'm hunting in Portage county not to far from Randolph.

And, by all means keep the videos coming. I find them to be quite enjoyable.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Three hunts since my last post, haven't hunted in rain and that has occurred several times in the last week so that has really
    Limited my hunting. Tried to kill the gobbler I talked about two more times and he hasn't made a peep since we last called him in. Either someone killed him or we spooked him and didn't know it. Hunted one other place and had no luck. Last three hunts have heard one gobble and that was from a henned up gobbler just giving us a token courtesy gobble. Hunting around here pretty crappy right now. One more week to go so see what happens.

They were going nuts this morning... couldnt bring any in.

I've been out a few times since my last post. These urban turkeys are tough. I left the equipment shed and tried a new spot the last couple times out. The new spot has been interesting. Seen gobblers every time I hunted it, but just not the right opportunity yet. Had a hen sneak up the edge this morning to within 8 foot of me. I froze hoping she would walk by and maybe have a gobbler following. No such luck, somehow she picked me out, she sounded like a car on seven cylinders, PUTT PUTT PUTT. Can't win 'em all. I'll be back again before the season ends.

My spring turkey season came to a close today. All in all a pretty disappointing season. Neither, myself or my dad had a gobbler in range this spring. I'll be the first to admit that there were a few wrenches thrown in our plans, but it is what it is. I had a good time spending a good number of mornings with my dad trying to out guess the toms.

Hunting in the same backyard that I grew up in was quite a treat actually. While I waited for a tom to walk by where I sat the last few mornings my mind did a lot of backtracking. I was sitting near a spot that was coined Bud's Birdland some 50 years ago. Bud is my older brother, so I'm sure this area was named after him. The name seemed to fit I had songbirds in all the trees and undergrowth around me most of the time. One pesky Catbird and I got to be good pals. At least he didn't rant and rave when he saw me after the first couple mornings I invaded his territory. A small chicken coop now stands wher I killed my first Ring-Necked Pheasant. I killed that bird on my 16th birthday. The first day my dad allowed me to carry a shotgun hunting. The gun was a single shot Iver Johnson .410. How ironic that today I was hunting turkey with another single shot .410 within 100 yards of where I killed my first cockbird. The area to my right used to be our vegtable garden, I remember by brothers and I having many rotton tomato wars there. Directly behind me about 10 yards was an old dump that my dads neighbor, Harold, owned. I remember being back there one day shooting Gerber baby food jars with my Red Ryder. I was having a good time until Harold caught me. I remember picking up glass for hours as he stood there giving me all kinds of grief. What I got was well deserved and I'm sure I learned from it.

I remember as a kid the area around my parents house was teeming with pheasants, quail and rabbits. It seemed odd to be there hunting Wild Turkey and seeing a few deer on every mornings sit. Turkeys were never seen back in the 1960's and to see a deer was a major event. Just shows how some things change over time. But, on the other hand things kinda stay the same. I remember sitting on the bank behind my parents home waiting for my dads 1950 Kaiser to come up the dirt road in September to go squirrel hunting with him. The last couple weeks my dad has sat on that same bank, but on his four wheeler, waiting for my 2012 Chevy Colorado to come up the now paved road. One thing hasn't changed, we still hunt together as much as possible. My dad is 85 and I'm 61 and were getting in as many hunts as possible while we have the time.

Here are a couple photos of where I spent the last few mornings. Both photos shows the equipment shed that I deserted for this spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dads1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	10154

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	das2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	10155

Dick,Great right up on the 2013 turkey hunt. Sorry nothing panned out, maybe next year.
    Don't ever let the truth get in the way, of a good story

Hit it fairly hard the last week of the season, climbed a high ridge Saturday morning and heard one single hen yelp two times, this being the same place on opening morning where I heard a dozen toms in two different groups. Sunday morning heard two toms gobble good on roost, good when they hit the ground, but by the time we got close to them they lingered just cross the property line and someone shot one or both of them. That was it, the end of what I would say was a below average turkey season. One gobbler for me, none for my brother (a real rarity), and none for my buddy in his first turkey season, but he had fun and said he'd definitely be hunting next year! Is it bow season yet?!!!!

well I didn't get out even once the whole season here, bad weather and lack of motivation on my part
    BUT today while doing things in the yard, all day long and I mean all day, I had 3 or 4 different gobblers gobbling there haeds off in all directions of me, was just plain crazy! must have heard about 1,000 gobbles today from 7 am till just about dark!
    I guess I am not that big a turkey hunter, but wow, what a day here for gobbles!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Hate to hear of the slow season for your group Blackbeard! My dad couldn't even get a gobbler to answer, yet show up. Up here in Michigan our late season just closed the last day of May and my buddy Ed was chasing them as long as he could. Had a couple encounters with some long beards but couldn't get them in the open for a shot with the bow.

Thread Information