Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot Scope Usage For A .22 Rifle

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County

Red Dot Scope Usage For A .22 Rifle

Whats your thoughts on a Red Dot for a .22 rifle. I put a cheap TruGlo 5 MOA Red Dot on my Rossi .22 and did a little shooting yesterday. At 25 yards yesterday using a makeshift, but pretty steady, rest I was only able to shoot 3/4" groups. I realize that Red Dots are not made for super accurate shooting, but I thought it would do a little better. Good enough for short range groundhogs, but I wouldn't advise using one on a squirrel rifle.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    If its anything like the one we had on my wife's bow years ago man those are hard to keep steady!! Really think her accuracy suffered because as she tried to hold it steadier the worse her shots were. Can only think the same could be true with a rifle.

Not what I wanted to hear BH. I shoot bad enough already. I can tell that the aiming point when shooting the dot is not as precise as shooting a scope with crosshairs. I plan to get it out one day this week for some short range groundhog hunting. I'm hoping it fares pretty well out to 50 yards or so. If it works out fairly well I have my eye on a 2X red dot with a 2.5 MOA dot. I'm thinking the slight magnification and the smaller dot would increase my accuracy a good bit.

I had a red dot On my .44 and it was nice because you shoot a red dot with both eyes open so you can track your target better.

well how accurate they are is how well there made, and how well your gun shoots and then how well you shoot
    the size of the dot, the bigger is made more for faster target accusation and as such not made for more precise shooting
    that doesn't mean you cannot be accurate with it
    but the size of the dot determine how much of a target it covers, thus, makes being more accurate harder, as you can be off a slight amount and not notice as much really!,
    adding more power, can help, 2.5 power, well to be honest that's not much of gain really for accuracy work, even if just at 50 yrds
    sure it will help, but not like a 4x or more will
    red dot scopes are more like scopes with a first plane retical, some what in that as power increases the dot gets bigger
    But most better model dot scopes these days, have the option of many different reticles to pick from on the same scope, many have several colors too you can switch through on the scopes
    many many troops are issued red dot type scopes in 4x and do very well at 100 yrds with them
    but for precise shooting a regular scope and cross hair and some higher power is always better
    there are many folks that shoot 1,000+ yrds with peep sights still, so, a lot comes down to the shooter and the gun , over optic many times!
    My general rule is finer the aiming point the better you can shoot for smaller groups, that is if you can see the aiming point and you and your gear are up to it! bigger the aiming point the faster you can get it on target
    and why so many pin's on bows have gotten smaller over the yrs, cause they allow you to aim more accuratly, but get harder to see in low light!
    good luck

well if it was me i would go with a 4x scope on the 22 , i think you would be happier, I have tried the red dot on a 22 before and the scope to me will make you bare down better , The red dot may cover your hawg to much , and we use them on our muzzleloaders but with hawg hunting on a brite sunny day it will give you fits trying to see the dot properly sometimes you may not even be able to see it. I can see them used on a handgun or a slug or muzzleloader used on deer sized game.but i wouldnt want one on any type of rifle personally. The 3/4 inch groups may just be your gun and the type of 22 you are putting through it.

I'm trying to set up the .22 as my go to daytime coon calling rig. I'm thinking in November and December most days won't be that sunny. When a coon comes to the call they are usually moving pretty quick and at close range. The red dot should help me get on target quickly. I'm just hunting the groundhogs to see how I like the set up. I thought about a 1 1/2 - 4X scope but the forgiving eye relief on the red dot is a plus. I've got a 4X scope on the .410 barrel for this gun and may just switch them if need be. I'm sure the red dot would work well on the .410 for deer hunting. A few sessions hunting groundhogs will answer most of my questions.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    I guess what you could do with it Hortontoter is shoot it off of a bench and really sight that dot in, that way you know it should hit where you are aiming.

well for what your doing the red dot scopes should be fine, most have the ability to adjust for brightness, and many these days have different colors to pick from

the lower the power the wider the field of view, makes for faster on target, but many 3x9 scopes can be had cheap these days, and with practice you can get on game pretty fast with a 3 x setting, and can get a scope with a lighted reticle to help on speed too, and then have the ability to go to higher power for more precice shooting farther out
    many red dot scopes are not all that lighter, sure some are, but not all
    one advantage a red dot will have besides the wider field of view will be ability to see in lower light
    more power (and glass quality) can me loss of light as power goes up
    so most red dots being low power, means they can see better in lower light, and the big Dot makes getting on target faster
    but with prsctice, its not a Huge difference on speeds
    but get every second can count on thngs that can move
    3/4 inch groups are not bad, many guns thats all they are good for, so
    finding or getting better may or may not be possibletrying different loads can sure help find a sweet one
    but these days with ammo being so darn hard or expensive might be just as happy with the 3/4 inch group if it was me!

My plan is to try different brands of ammo. But, finding .22 LR is near impossible here. My plan is to use CCI Mini Mags, Velocitors or Spitfires. Which ever of these three shoot best is what I will use. If no significant differences in groups I'll go with Velocitors to use the higher velocity 40 grain bullet.

Thread Information