Thread: early season grunting

early season grunting

Hey guys. do you recommend any early season grunting to bring in bucks. what have been your experiences? I have heard good and bad about it but i want to hear from folks in this sight??

I normally don't grunt a lot in the early season. I might try to grunt if a buck is leaving my range and I want him to come back some. The early season is mostly about the patterns the deer are on and knowing where you need to be on the property. Every deer responses a little different to grunts even in rut.
    STROTHER INFINITY
    RIPCORD REST
    TRUGLOW SIGHT
    ICS BEMAN ARROWS
    TRU-FIRE RELEASE
    28.5 DRAW 65LBS

I agree, I dont do a whole lot of early season grunting. Every now and then I might throw out a few blind grunts if movement is slow or none. But if I see a buck early in the season, I usually wont grunt unless he's walking away (just as a shot in the dark to get him to come back...maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    I agree, I dont do a whole lot of early season grunting. Every now and then I might throw out a few blind grunts if movement is slow or none. But if I see a buck early in the season, I usually wont grunt unless he's walking away (just as a shot in the dark to get him to come back...maybe).
    Yeah same here but I do use fawn bleats to try to get does to came in

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Yeah same here but I do use fawn bleats to try to get does to came in
    Funny you say that, me and a guy at work were talking about that yesterday. Not to get off topic but i've only used a fawn distress. Is it to late in the year to use a fawn call right now, like tomorrow morning?

well over the yrs I have tried abouyt everything there is
    and I came to think less is best
    I still carry a call, and MIGHT try to use it if a big buck is going to pass out of range and maybe can lure it in, but most times I just leave it in my pack
    I personally feel it has more to do with age structure of your herd/bucks
    small bucks might come in as there young and dumb, but not so many hunters are looking for them
    and unless yoyu have a bunch of older age bucks to compete with each other often, I say most won't come in to a call
    and not so many places have a LOT of old bucks living on them
    thus why I don't call much anymore
    90% of bucks in my area are 2 yrs old or less, and thus, the few older one's don't have that much to worry about or care about, add in a high number of does, and they have even less worries as to getting some come rut time!
    and I think far more places are this way, than the other!

"less is more" is making more and more sense to me.... I will still rattle in the rut...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...MzQwNDk1MjQ1S0

I agree about not grunting too much in the early season. But I have killed several P&Y rattling lightly in the early season. If I see a buck I want and he's not coming I will grunt then rattle a little. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but at least I feal like I tried. It's all up to the deer..... Unfortunately!

I just got back from my tree stand. Had the buck I am after under my stand at 16 yds.!
    But...it was just to dark to risk a shot. I heard him before I saw him, he was in the creek bottom making a scrape/rub.
    I decided to try a short low grunt, he came directly to me. Right before he stepped onto the logging road in front of me he let out a wheeze.... no snort just the last part the wheeze. That is the first time I ever heard a buck do that. Anyone ever heard of a buck just doing a wheeze? To comment on the thread, the grunt did work this time!

well I have heard them do that, not often, but , they make a lot of noises most folks don't hear I think!
    and seems the older they get the more noises they make too LOL

Thread Information