Thread: As I sit back and think

Hybrid View

I was introduced to archery season with a crossbow. I hunted with a crossbow for 17 years and loved it. I heard so much about the compound and took some flack from a few of my buddies so I eventually broke down and tried out the compound this past season. I did manage to take out 3 does this past season but for the first time in many years I did not tag a buck. Both weapons have thier own set of difficulties and also things that made things easier. I will say on the one day this past season that I hade an opportunity on a giant non-typical I could not pull the shot off with my compound but if I had the crossbow I would have had an easy 8 yard broadside shot. But, I made the vow to stick with the compound the entire season and I loved it. Probably even better than the crossbow even though I blew the one opportunity I had at a monster this past fall. I will definitely be sticking with the compound this next season again and as long as my body is able to do it. With that said my first year I felt more comfortable with the WB and I liked it. I may eventually go with the drop away though as I become more seasoned with the compound. As far as heads go I used Thunderheads for many seasons and liked them alot. I made the switch to Rage's when they came out and don't ever see myself going with any other broadhead than The Rage!!!!! Good luck in your future endeavors.

Fixed and drop away. Easy answers. Why do you want to add another piece of equipment to your setup which has the potential to fail because of mechanics (expandable broadheads). And before someone says I'm contradicting myself, I've never had my trophy ridge drop-away rest not drop away, but I guess it can happen after reading Redneck's post. I just think less contact between your arrow and your rest has got to be best accuracy wise, and more forgiving.

1. IMO fixed blades can never fail you. Mech blades have failed me. I went back to fixed.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

Thread Information