Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went shed hunting yesterday...Found 5 dead deer

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Very possible yotes have drug one or two of them there too. My buddy placed his deer carcass out to try to shoot a yote that was hanging around. The whole carcass is no where to be found now and we plan to look for it when we do some shed hunting. Thinking it likely was drug off and down into the bottoms.

well in my post from last week or so, I found 4 dead skulls , and where they were for sure I believe something carried them there
    and just didn't die there for sure, as the racks had been cut off, and it wasn't a place easy to drop a head or a carcass off at
    some critters I think carry things to places they like to bed maybe or den close by
    but I still lean to something got them sick, and killed them
    might not have been from a person trying to kill them either, moldy corn is toxic so??

Hey playthewindmike, check my coyote hunting tips and tricks thread on the predator hunting category. That should get you started. Not sure where you're at, but I would help you out if you'd like.

I've had deer bed down in front of me and have watched coyotes circle and close in on them so many times it's not even funny. Almost every morning when the turkeys flew down from their roost this fall and winter I would have no less than 3 yotes closing in on them. They are stone cold predators.

Do you see a bunch of racoons, groundhogs, opossums, or rabbits on this property? As many as you think you should? I used to see a ton of those critters on the property I hunt until I noticed increases in yote numbers. I then started noticing more deer remains.

A lot of people/hunters think that coyote numbers aren't that bad, and maybe in their areas they are not. Each area, even if it's 50 acres, has it's own wildlife distribution and sustainability. Also, the old-school thought is that coyotes are needed for the circle of life, and I agree that they are. However, when the easy, little critters start disappearing and there are increasing numbers of coyotes (since humans and other coyotes are their only predator risk) those coyotes still need to eat, and they will pack together and kill deer. That's just a fact.

I've attached a pic of a yote my uncle shot yesterday morning. He had 5 come in to the call but could only get one shot off. Tell me that 5 of these apex predators, who have superior senses, even better than deer, can't do serious damage on any critter you've seen in the woods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362088317.609028.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	10083

hey just something to think about
    we all know deer like minerals
    and well many DOT depts use salt and salt like mineals and chemicals to spray roads in winter?
    ever wonder what effect it has on deer that either lick them, or eat plants and like that get residual spray on them or out right eating the salt that spills into piles??
    just a something to think about maybe!

a good way I always used on coyote, is to keep tabs on there poop?
    if there eating a lot of deer you will see a lot of deer hair in it!
    same as for other critters, but deer hair shows up a lot in what I find in many areas, so I know they live on a lot of deer1

Good stuff guys. Speng I will hit you up later maybe we go check out and try to kill some yotes.

My last day of work here, I resigned. I have planned this, to start my own business and work full time for myself so I will have more time for outdoors.

Going in a couple hours, loading my quads and picking up a couple buds to hit the southern Ohio woods this weekend. Shed hunting mostly. All have a good weekend
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Very nice!! Congrats on the new endeavors!!

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you! And congrats on starting your own business, that's exciting stuff and wish you good luck!

Definitely that time of year to find dead ones, I found 3 different dead ones on my property last weekend, pretty sure one was a doe I hit late in the season, other two who knows, the Yotes eat everything but the bones and hair.

Thread Information