Thread: ohio hogs, The real scoop !

Cool ohio hogs, The real scoop !

Hi everyone, new here. I have been in sourhern ohio all my life as a deer and turkey hunter. Several years ago I began hunting our wild hogs and prefer that over about everything else.I am fortunate to live in Vinton cnty where the hogs are and Am generLly in the woods several days a week. Nice to meet you all

well welcome to the site
    and Hogs I would think would be both fun to hunt and tasty to eat
    how many do you kill?
    any pictures, either trail cam or kills?
    think folks here would enjoy to see them, know I would
    don't have any wild hog where I am, and I'm honestly glad, there hard on habitat, and were lacking good habitat here as it is!

but if given the chance to hunt them, I would!

ya man i have alot of pics, not sure how to post em. first time on here. I hunt with dogs, I can usually get one bayed up if i hunt all day. There. ot near as hard on the land as you think, there not thick here like people exaggerate and they dont carry any more disease than any other animal . send me a number and ill send ya some pics

well easiest way to post pic's I found is to use photo bucket, its all I do here!
    as for how much damage they do, ??? well, in some of the other states I hunt, I have seen tons of damage done by them
    last time I hunted in Missouri, on the first or second page of the rule book it simply said shoot every wild pig you can please?
    friends I know in Tx, spend thousands a yr killing them due to damages they create
    so the damages they can do isn't exagarated in many places
    maybe in your area there numbers are in check with thibngs for now, and enough folks shoot them

here in PA, so many folks are trigger happy, I don't think we would ever have a problem with them , and why we really don't have many if at all!
    local game farm that did wild/well so called wild boar hunts, in a fenced in operation, had about 50 get out
    he went to the local bars that nite and tolld folks if they see them to shoot them
    the bar I was at cleaned out like some one yelled fire, all taking off with spot lights and 4x4's looking to have something to shoot
    was told in like a week they were all killed! LOL

Ive hunted Georgia and Florida and Tenn. im not saying they cant cause some damage, but its usually less than the local cattle cause. In a nothern state like Ohio they will never be a problem.our hogs are lucky if they raise one shoat per litter, also the breed of hog that we have is much different than the southern states have.they have to be hunted differently as well. At any rate, they are a challenge and anyone that has the desire should try it out, there's nothing quite as thrilling as running into a dog/hog fight knowing you have to grab that hog !!

Quote Originally Posted by hogman View Post
    Hi everyone, new here. I have been in sourhern ohio all my life as a deer and turkey hunter. Several years ago I began hunting our wild hogs and prefer that over about everything else.I am fortunate to live in Vinton cnty where the hogs are and Am generLly in the woods several days a week. Nice to meet you all
    Welcome to the site. You will like it. I've hunted Vinton Co. Tar Hollow/Zelesky. Have not seen any hogs or sign. I did have a couple of guys who were staying at the same place we were said they saw a few hogs but didn't say were. Do you hunt public land? Like mrbb is would like to see some pics! Would be interested in any tips or advise.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

Pics would be great. I plan on doing some hog hunting in southern Ohio before too long. A chance to get the M4 carbine out. I just need to start talking to some of the locals down there.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

I keep checking back here expecting to see pics of these hogs......are there any pics???
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Thread Information