Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think before speaking....a good hunting story

Think before speaking....a good hunting story

A few years back I built a home off Clearcreek rd off rt 33 just south of Sugar Grove Ohio. After living there a couple years an old fellow who lived between Ohio and New York (wealthier than wealthy) donated 4000 plus acres to Metro Parks and now you have the park down there. I was a neighbor so I did not have to get in the lottery system to be able to hunt there. I got to know the rangers and they did special favors for me. Me and my friends would go back and north of the castle on the lake.....if you know where that is, not many do but it is a walk from the road. We always hunted the north woods from the old castle around a log home (small) built in the 1800's. GREAT hunting area, huge deer run. I would make my cell call to the rangers at the end of the day and they would drive a truck back to pick up our deer so we didn't have to drag. This was nice and for a few years we never saw any other hunters back in this area.

One year 6 of us went back and got set up for the days hunt. One friend who had never been there went past the old cabin with me to sit on a ridge which there was one major deer run through a thicket that followed the top of the ridge and it was so steep that there was no way for deer or human to go up or down the side of it. It was a perfect spot. So we were sitting there and around 10am I heard some noise in the thicket and the the tops began thrashing back and forth. My friend was sound asleep about 20 yards from me and I did everything I could to wake him up....even threw a can of mt dew at him. So I drew my gun, waiting, then steps out a very nice 10 pointer scoring in the neighborhood of 140 to 150, 2 of the tines were drop tines. Beautiful buck. I put my sights on him, stopped him and bam, shot him double lung, he slammed to the ground, jumped back up and took off through the woods and yes, this woke my buddy up. As we walked over my buddy was asking, "are you sure you hit him" and I just laughed, then we heard a shot over the next valley where we had never seen anyone hunt and that was where the deer was headed. So we examined the area and blood was everywhere. A very nice easy track this was. We stayed on his trail of blood and I was thinking, now way this buck made it to where we heard the shot. Well we ended up in the next valley and there was a guy way down at the creek bottom gutting a deer. We followed my bucks blood trail right down that valley to the deer the guy was field dressing. We checked it over and it only had the one hole, double lung shut. And it had 2 drop tines, and it was a 10 pointer. This was my buck. It had ran down there and died.

The guy cleaning this buck had a couple of youngsters with him (ah 10 to 13 years old IDK) and he was older than dirt. He jumped up and was yelling us the story of how the buck come flying over the hill, his grand kids were telling him, shoot it grandpa and he shot, then he said he didn't even know how he hit it he was so excited and so were the kids. All 3 of them telling us the story at the same time. The old timer said he had never ever saw a buck in the few years he had been taking and teaching his grand kids how to hunt, like this one. Mostly baby bucks they said. What to do...what to do...I just put my head down thinking for a moment then, looked the guy in the eye and told him, "Great Job" and shoot his bloody hand lol. He thanked me over and over and totally refused any help, him and his grand kids were going to drag the deer out. He was teaching them the total hunt.

Well the reason for this story is the other day I was at one of the outfitter stores and someone was tapping me on the shoulder, I turned around and it was a couple of kids, teenagers and I had no clue who they were. They began asking me about that buck and their grandpa and if I remembered them. It was those two kids. We began talking and they explained to me that their father had passed years back in Iraq. Their grandfather had been raising them and teaching them to hunt and so on. They said that their grandfather had that buck mounted for their memory of that day. It took about 6 months for them to get the mount and when they got it back their grandfather made a wood sign to hang with the buck and the sign had all 3 of their names and the date of the kill. Their grandfather passed away by that weeks end.

Boy am I glad I just shook the old mans hand and told him Great job. When I was standing over that buck thinking, something just told me not to say a word so I didn't. As we get wiser with our age, think before speaking I guess. I hope you guys enjoyed it.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

I did not shoot his bloody hand I shook it lolol
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

As I say in my signature, what goes around comes around. You will have lots of good things happening to you, even when you don't know it. Great thread, great advise.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

well some times there more to hunting and memories than taking home a buck
    good for you, and sure thats something all will remember a long time

great story thank you for sharing

GREAT STORY PTWM......been sitting here wondering what i would have done since my biggest is a124, 9 pt, i hope i would have done the same, great story

Wow, great story. That was a heck of a thing to do.

A similar story, not nearly as good as yours, but kinda the same thing. A few years ago I was hunting a particular gobbler, hunted him hard all season, saw him several times but he always outsmarted me. Everyday I hunted this bird. Well the final day of the season arrived, and I just barely talked myself out of sleeping in. I got to my spot and there's a truck parked where I usually park. This is private land land I'm hunting and no one else has permission so I decided they must be broke down and not hunters. I walked to my spot and right before getting there I saw two decoys in the field. They were hunting my spot after all! A guy about my age and a little boy about 7-8 years old got up and walked over to me. He asked me if I was the one driving the green truck who has been hunting here all season and I said yes. He said ok then we're leaving, sorry for bothering you. [The gobbler is gobbling his head off as the discussion happened.] I said no, you got that little boy with you, you two stay and kill that bird. He wouldn't stay and said "no this is your spot we'll leave. So I walked a little farther, sat down in the spot I'd been hunting all season, and called the old gobbler in and killed him! A last day gobbler. So I could have raised hell with this guy and his boy, maybe ruined it for both of us, but I tried to be nice and not a jerk in front of this boy and it paid off. They left, I stayed, and the gobbler was mine!

absolutely great story
    follow my weekly blog at www.trophypursuit.com/corey

You made the right choice. I'd like to have a few back through the years. Not so many engaging the mouth before putting the brain in gear episodes since I've gotten older.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Play The Wind Mike that has got to be THE best and most heartfelt story I have read! You are a great man that single handedly put a life long event in 3 people's hearts and minds, complete strangers. You will be rewarded forever by re-living that story!

Thread Information