Thread: DIY Hunt Wanted!

DIY Hunt Wanted!

Looking for a DIY hunt for 3-4 hunters in southeast Ohio. Managed land preferable, and lodging would be a plus, but not required. If anyone has any good leads based on past experience, please respond.

Thanks

OK, not to bash you, BUT a DIY hunt means just that you do it yourself

asking for managed lands to hunt, and possible lodging
    is more of a guided hunt, or a lease?
    so what are you wanting??

again not bashing you, just saying

I have done a LOT of DIY hunts all across the USA, so have to ask??

are you looking to plan the hunt, or have someone tell you where and how to hunt??
    as thats what guides do?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    OK, not to bash you, BUT a DIY hunt means just that you do it yourself

asking for managed lands to hunt, and possible lodging
    is more of a guided hunt, or a lease?
    so what are you wanting??

again not bashing you, just saying

I have done a LOT of DIY hunts all across the USA, so have to ask??

are you looking to plan the hunt, or have someone tell you where and how to hunt??
    as thats what guides do?
    Sorry if i wasn't clear. I'm looking for someone that has private land that's willing to let 3-4 hunters pay to hunt for a week. Not looking to be guided, just access to the property. This possibly could be an outfitter, but looking more for an individual that has land their willing to offer. I've done this before as well, and rather scout and hunt my own stands. Thanks for any info.

well not saying thats a bad Idea, but there is great public lands in Ohio too
    that can save you some $$ on paying for private land access

I would recommend that you try going to some hunting sportsman shows, and talking to some outfitters in Ohio, and asking maybe if they do SEMI guided hunts
    as that is what I think your looking for
    a semi guided hunt, is an outfitter getting you set up on lands to hunt, but not setting up your stands and catering to you like a fully guided deal
    and most offer for less $$
    some DON"T , as they don't like folks having free range on there lands and casuing un needed pressure to there deer and likes
    but MAYBE , all the more so in this economy will I think if you ask!

you can also look at a lease??
    some will lease by the week, month or yr
    all depends on what they want

you can also pick some areas you like, and go knock on doors too, and ask about getting access to private lands
    you can also offer to land owners to ask if they would rent you hunting rights for a week too??
    there are lots of options
    JUST rememeber that just cause its private or run by an outfitter doesn't mean its any better than Public lands

Ohio holds some GREAT public lands too, many have excellent food plots and crops planted right on them in remote places too, that few know about
    it takes home work and boot time on your part to find them, but they are out there
    and its a low odds deal anyone on an open forum is going to pint them out to you, as if they do, they won't be great spots for long!

Mrbb is absolutly right about public land. From experience, for 2yrs I hired an outfitter just for access, no stands, no food, very little advise. I,m a little slow so it took me two yrs to figure out all the land he gave me access too, was over hunted threw out the season. An some of it to my surprise was public land. All of his good stuff was used for the high paying hunters. They did have some success. I got upset on the last two days of my hunt and started scouting public land and liked what I found. When I returned home I started doing my homework on Ohio and in the proccess joined this site. The guys here have been a great help. The dnr is a good place to start also. In the spring of 2012 I made a trip down to the areas wanted to hunt and scouted. I returned in Nov for 10 dys and had the best trip in a long time. All public land. Its hard hunting, but its hunting. I don't think you will be disappointed. Most guys at the outfitters camp think they only have a week, and not enough time to scout and hunt. Yah the first trip may be tough but the 2nd one will be better. When ever I ask questions on this site, I got good info. Just don't ask for someone to give you there honey hole I hope this a help to you. Good luck !
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

Thanks for the good info guys, . Like you Griz, I had a similiar experience with an outfitter, so I'm thinking more and more about the public land route. I'll be checking more and more into those areas.

Thread Information