Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what you would do ??????

Tell me what you would do ??????

Its a sunny day in jan, you take your buddy and children to a lake to do sum late season fishing , you see a deer coming down the edge of the lake with 2 broken back legs walking on he knees and back legs dragging behind her from knees down, she enters the water to try to swim the 400plus yards across the lake your above her with a down ward angle and you have a ccw lic and your armed with a 40cal handgun stocked with hollow points???????

A.... do you shoot her to put her down n stop the suffering ?

B..... do you watch her swim off and drown?

C..... do you do nothing and go on about your day?

A friend asked me this ? this is a hypothetical ? and is just to see what ya would do if in that situation

well thats a tricky question and situation
    I think its a hard call, even if the right thing to do is well known!

as some of them answers can get you in trouble, and not saying it couldn't be done, but from yrs of training shooters
    not so many people with a handgun can make a one shot kill unless there standing over a deer, thus making a bad situation worse if many shots are needed or, just making a bigger scene!

My answer to that would be
    do the right thing
    since that could be illegal, I won't say if i have ever done it!

next best answer you didn't list is, to maybe catch her and call the game dept, and ask if you can either put her down, or hold her till they get there
    I have done this before, some wardens will give permission over the phone to do it, some WON'T!
    and will make a fuss if you do!
    and last, since it is still archery season,( assuming it happened in this season) I would think it could be tagged as a kill if you could get someone with a tag to come do the job! again with a phone call and keeping tabs on the deer

BUT again, pending on the game warden, and how much of a fuss is made(if other see all or the likes), it can be a major problem
    I know a state trooper here in PA that lost his job over a mercy killing, on a bear that had its both back legs broke in a car collision,
    and was unable to move, but was making a ton of noise from being injured!
    and the game dept here, went wild over him dispatching the animal without there permission
    so the right thing to do can have major price tag some times

but there are options again, like I said not listed that can work well!

mrbb .... thank you for your input i value all answers ........ i was just listing the answers i was given to see what other ppl would have done is all , i to agree the rite thing might have been the worst thing to do .

no problem, and I get this is a hypothetical deal, but was just listing some other options
    as this type of thing does happen
    I know over my yrs , I have seen like deals happen many times over the yrs
    MORE with deer hit by cars and left on the side of the road still kicking
    and again, not saying I have or haven't put them done
    just saying its a GRAY area many times on what you can get away with, no matter right or wrong
    its funny to me a little
    as if a deer damages your property, car house what ever, most states say its not there problem or responsible for any damages as there not there deer, but wild animals
    BUT if you try to kill one, all of a sudden them deer become there property and can claim any damages you do to them, and hold you to fines or more!
    a one way street as long as they get paid I guess! them deer are all there's!

Mrbb....... I 100% agree the grey areas aint fair to anyone human or animals

I'd would do C
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

I think b & c are the same. A is the right thing to do, but is it worth you loosing your right to hunt or loose the right to carry? Also you have children with you that should not be exposed to that. Don't get me wrong, putting the animal down would be a teaching moment but having to keep it to themselfs and not telling is the problem. If you were alone and no one around, it would be between you and your maker. But as Mrbb said, try to catch her, and make a phone call, its the smart thing to do. Good thread!
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

like is said guya this is just a ? i was asked this by a friend and i was baffled so i had to throw it on the board to get feed back is all , some good answers hear ty for yalls reply

This has happened to me in a different setting. On my way to work one morning I saw a deer dragging itself off a hill near a field 150 yards from my house. It got into the field and obviously broke its back. I drove back to the house and called the game warden and went on to work. Came home that night and the deer was still alive in the same place. She had spun around in a circle all day and wore the hair on her off and the ground around her was all tore up. At that point I put her out of her misery and called the game warden again. He chewed me up one side and down the other on the phone and took another 2 hours too get there. Once he saw the condition of the animal he calmed down and nothing came of it. It was in the summer and season was out, but I would do it again if I was put in that situation.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Radicalxl thankyou for your reply i think i would have done the same thing if this happened to me ......Freak

Thread Information