Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead Shoots like a curveball????

Broadhead Shoots like a curveball????

I took a shot on a six point monday night and I missed. This morning, i went out in the back yard and did a little target practice to find out whats going on. I shot about ten times with field points 100 grain hit it right on money every time. so, i decided to take out a few of the broad heads and shoot them. they hit high and right every time. about six times.its like I am shooting a curveball??? These broad heads are also 100 grains. Its no wonder why i have missed twice this season. Do I need to sight in these broadheads???

well thats an old problem many many bow hunters have had

many broadheads fly differently than target tips
    BUT many times its not the heads, it the bow out of tune
    some simple fixes
    well lining up the blades with the fletching
    Paper tuning your bow with broadheads
    or like so many have done, go to a GOOD expandable broadhead
    there are many good one's out there now a days, that almost are fail proof to NOT open
    But a fixed head will always have an advantage in reliability, BUT only if they fly where you want them

so I suggest you start with paopertuning and turning the heads to line up
    if that doesn't solve the problem
    you can try weighing the heads, and spin them to see if any are out of straight, that can happen on them, causing them to fly true too
    same as the inserts in the shafts too, if there not in straight
    could be lots of small things that add up
    but starting with paper tuning can be a BIG help
    smaller shorter head always seem to fly better out of faster bows too
    as size of blade/head can effect flight with speeds
    also could be your arrows shaft size?
    a broad head will have more resistance than a target tip of same weight and can cause a shaft to flex more

just some off the top of my head
    But I went to rage heads and fly perfect for me, if I do my part
    but an out of tune bow will be an out of tune bow no matter the head
    just some can get away with target tip/expandables better, than with a fixed head!
    good luck

Well Cheif you should always sight your bow in with the broad heads you are going to hunt with. Please listen carefully, I hear people on this site and personal friends of mine who swear by Rage and use them successfully. My personal experience is not good with Rage. I was using for a couple of years or so, Blood Runners 2 1/16 and they were great until this year. Some Blood Runners I bought started breaking in the target. I looked closely to see if there was any difference in last years and this years and yes, there was a small section that had an open slot where the older ones were solid. So I assume that this was to save a little money on manufacturing....using less metal....I don't know. I broke around 8 to 10 just target practicing so I decided to try Rage since a few of my friends were loving them. I bought them, I sighted sighted my bow in with pratice tips and with the Rage they were hitting the target oh....12 to 16 inches off. They were the rage, two blade mechanical. I was so confused. I decided to climb in the attic where I had some old muzzy heads I used to use years ago and give them a try.....dead on target.(Blood Runners were dead on as well) So I went and purchased more muzzy and used them. With this being said, I believe and have witnessed that some bullet brands jam in guns and some other manufacturer shoots smoother with no jams in a gun. I may be wrong here but I have started believing that different bows may shoot different broad heads differently. I don't want to start a frenzy with you Rage lovers :) this is just my experience. So Cheif I would suggest practicing with a couple of different BH's and see what flies for you best.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    To finish out the year it would be good to sight in your bow to the broadheads. If you are done then you should have your bow tuned and by that I mean the relationship between your arrow rest, nocking point (on the string) and possibly timing issues with your cam(s). I would take it to a pro shop and ask them for help. Ideally you will have the bow paper tuned after the look things over. This can solve the problem or be a start to fixing it. A very well tuned bow/arrow rest/nock point will get you real close if not shooting the same provided the heads are matched in weight which you said they are. Do a search or two on tuning your bow here and see what you come up with. Let us know how it goes and ask questions when they come up.

BTW what is likely happening is the fixed blades are steering your arrow instead of the vanes doing it for you. A high right hit to me means your arrow rest likely has to move to the left and your nock point has to be raised. Of course you should also have the pro-shop check the spine on your arrows too to make sure they are limber/strong enough for the weight you are shooting.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    By all means sight in with the broadheads. I use 4 bladed 100 grain older Muzzy heads. The older heads have a one inch cutting diameter. A small hole is made by these heads though. But I believe a small hole in the right place is better than a big hole in the wrong place. I ALWAYS shoot broadheads when sighting in. I only use one arrow as my hunting arrow and I sight in with this arrow only. I shoot the arrow with the broadhead on it and when I am satisfied with the sight in I remove the blades and replace them with brand new blades. I don't use the Muzzy practice blades for sighting in as they do not fly the same as the razor blade inserts out of my crossbow. I find that the little things one does can make a big difference at the moment of truth.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Hey thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I just bought the bow from dicks about a month ago. its a 2012 pse stinger 3g. Do you think i should still take it to a bow shop for a tune up or do they pretty much come ready to go. I will play around with it a little more this weekend and let you know what i come up with. Also the broadheads i am shooting with are fixed blades two bigger blades and two smaller blades? How exactly should these line up with the fletchings??

I too shoot a PSE Stinger, bought it in 2007. I had all kinds of trouble when I first got it. I was advised at a different shop I was shooting the wrong arrows. I had tried several different kinds from Cabellas (this is where I bought it) but nothing worked that they advised. The new shop looked it up in the PSE book and it said to use Radial X Weave 200's. I have for quite awhile used Grim Reaper broadheads. They have a practice broadhead in the pack, and they shoot exactly like the field tips, and man the holes they make and the blood is like a mass murder scene. Have never had a problem since. The bow has not been touched or tuned since. I just screw on the broadheads, and do nothing else and it shoots dead on. Hope this helps
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Take it in and have it tuned up! My Mission was out of time this late summer early fall. I had a new string put on it. I new something was a miss because I knew I was a better shot than what I was doing. So off to where I purchased the bow. My bow was just a little off. Re-timed and a few paper shots a we were back in business! I noticed the difference shooting my broad heads too. After tuning I was back to hitting golf ball size circle at 30yrds.

Mike

I agree take it in
    just because it was new or set up at the store, that doesn't mean it was set up correctly, or set up to fit you
    remember that tons of people work in stores and not all have any real skills on doing things how they will work the best!
    a paper test is fast and easy and you can do one at home, to just see if anything shows up and then take it from there before spending any money at a shop
    do a you tube search on paper tuning I am sure there has to be tons of them on there

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Yeah take it into a reputable shop. Anyone can screw on a rest and call it good, a good bow shop will get it ready and set it up right.

Thread Information