Thread: I shot a strange deer....

I shot a strange deer....

I shot a deer last night that I that I thought was a nice size doe. Turned out to be a buck that shed its antlers some time ago. It also is missing the "points" on its front hoofs. They are rounded off and broke off. The back hoofs also don't look normal and are broke or split out between the "toes". What would cause something like this? Doesn't appear to have been hit by a car.

how about some pictures??

as for shedding antlers, well this is about that time most start to drop them with some being a lot earlier, and some will hold them a LOT longer, so thats not odd really
    as for hoofs, have to see what your 's looks like'
    I have seen many that have had them broken that lived in very rocky area's
    , and have seen a few that seemed like they grew and grew , like they didn't ever wear down from walking, like a horse's that doesn't get walked
    there like a nail on people, if you don'r use them they grow and grow, as ??
    have to see what they look like to give a better idea on what I know about them??
    But congrats on a kill anyways

Don't know for sure, but I would guess it would be a very old buck. This would be a good explaination on why the antlers dropped earlier. And the hoofs could be worn down from many years of travel. Just my opinion.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Sounds like the deer could have had EHD this year and was slowly recovering from it. Pictures please!!

Interesting. Pics yes would be nice if possible
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

Will get pics up tomorrow. Do you think their is any reason to be concerned about eating it? I planned to butcher it tomorrow night and grind it in burger for jerky and soup meat.

Thread Information