Thread: Creating A Funnel...Am I Dreaming

Hybrid View

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I may take you up on that offer Gary.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    My opinion is that deer WILL take the path of least resistance only if they feel safe in doing so, especially bucks. By doing what you are thinking, if you don't choke their travels down to a tiny opening, your chances of doing this successfully will be good. A fence is an obvious thing in the woods though and you may get better results with brush piles or tree tops strategically placed if you had a way to create them. One thing I would think about is, if you put up a fence, will the neighbor get upset over this or wonder what you are doing? Also keep in mind the neighbor will also see this and may set up on the new funnels as well, possibly causing deer to fear the bottlenecks.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Good points, Chuck.

I plan to tell the neighbor why I will be doing this. And I don't plan to put it right on the property line, but close to it. And I only plan to run maybe 300' of fence on my 1600' foot property line. Luckily no one hunts my neighbors property to the north of me. Most of the deer I see bed on my northern neighbors property. I plan to leave a 20-30 yard opening for the deer to travel through.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    That should work well for you then. If you set it up right you can make a couple openings and blind set-ups for different wind directions, depending if you have good access routes from both sides.

sounds like a good idea... i plan to try something similar by stacking brush as sort of a fence... i will be interested to hear how this works for you!

Thread Information