Thread: Late Season Buck Hunting Tactics...What works

Late Season Buck Hunting Tactics...What works

I have viewed different questions on late season buck hunting and thought I would share my experiences with what has worked for me. Please keep in mind different terrains and topographies and so forth.

I have been there late season standing with my buck tag still in hand and just let it go. Well in the recent years I decided to get more serious about filling my buck tag with hopefully a nice buck. I sat down in an attempt to figure out what late season bucks tendencies and behaviors are or have changed to. Last year and the year before I bagged what I believe to be a very nice 8 pointer and a very nice 12 pointer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 8pt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	9673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 12pt.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	9674
    These are both late December bucks. Camera date is not right, batteries were replaced and dates were screwed up on my buddies camera.

What I have done differently the last couple of years, mid-season on, to change with the changing bucks. First of all if you think about deer travel as the season goes on I notice that they do change and resort back to their natural instincts of their travel patterns of getting back to the woods/funnels and get tighter on hedges. With that being said I started in 2011 doing this and thought, I will get on one end of the funnel into the woods and hang a stand. I did so, then I was on stand and noticed that the does would come through and one of them would always find me in the trees and I was not making a sound or a movement what so ever. These deer were coming through scanning the woods AND up the trees. I was kind of getting upset knowing that every time I was going out I was getting noticed by the deer no matter my camo. I decided, I will fix them and I turned my stand to the other side of the tree. Low and behold the deer were coming through daily and not a one noticed me on the back side of the tree. This was different for me with comparison from beginning season to mid season it didn't matter what side of the tree I was on during that time. So I felt I was doing much better by doing this. These deer would come from different areas of the woods but all of them would end up in the funnel during these late season hunts. Early to mid season they would simply work their way down to the fields all over these woods. So this is why I say get to one or the other end of a funnel. I go to their bedding end for a better chance of seeing them before dark sets in. If you think about it people have been out there shooting from barns, blinds, tree stands and more with guns at these deer and they are going to feel maybe a little better about travelling through the thick woods and funnels. I would be if I were a deer. They become so skittish this time and that's why I believe they were scanning up in the trees as well. Ok back to my experience; When I started seeing these deer behind the tree I began seeing more and more deer using this particular funnel. After just a few sits of them coming from the woods and going down the funnel the bucks started coming in and taking their same paths to and through the funnel. I called a couple or so of these bucks and they would look but keep on going so I quit calling. When the 12 pointer come in, 7 minutes after the does went through I had one opening shot and mouth grunted and he stopped long enough for me to throw an arrow through him. I believe, the way he acted he was not going to turn and come to where I grunted from. It just looked as though he was going to look to see if he could see something and then go on his same way he was headed. My thoughts are that after the guns stop shooting these deer are using every tactic they know of and we have to get smarter on everything we do down to the little things.

The eight pointer was slightly different because I did call him in during late December but, I was in the middle of this very funnel and he was out in the cut down corn field close to the edge of the woods and he was working his way toward me or the funnel any ways.

Ok, with my story and experiences I guess I can say at least try getting to the bedding end of the funnels out there, hang a stand on the back side of the tree and don't call unless you are stopping them for the shot. I use no scents or anything at this time. Just bow, arrow and my climber.

By all means this is my experience here in Ohio and it works for me. For some of these great hunters here on our website maybe you could add what you do late season that works for you. We could all probably pick up a thing or two. Everyone, good luck and be safe this last month of bow hunting.
    If there were 8 days in a week I would hunt 8 days

well I agree that can be a great set up
    but here , all the deer bed off property, and by the time they get to my place they can be on any of a 100 trails in so many different spots, just no ryme or reason too on what they pick, wind, weather, temps, , tried them all and they rotate trails at will here
    MY by far best last season set up is in corners of food plots when weather is COLD and nasty
    and other wise just behind food plots on regular temps for the weeks

I simply found in winter food is king!

but congrats on your kills nice bucks too!

Thread Information