Thread: Crowds

Crowds

I am planing a trip to hunt powelson and dillon WMA the first week of november and have talked to a game warden in the area and he said that those two dont get real crowded during bow season and if you are willing to do the work you can get away from people. But i have heard horror stories about crowds on public ground and just talked to a guy who hunted salt fork this past year and said he was surrounded by guys. I am hoping someone can shine some light on this for me, i would hate to scout maps all summer and then make a 9hr drive just to be swamped with other guys... Thanks in advance... Brian

Its the chance you take. I was unsure on the hunting pressure that was in the area I chose this last season. But was surprized at the low numbers that were there. Of course I don't know what was going on before I showed up. Its public land, you never know. Most of them hunted close to the road. Like less than a 1/2 mile. I saw few guys after 1 mile. That takes a pretty big piece of woods. Thats why Wayne National Forest is a good choice. I'm not sure how big dillion is. I also had more than one place in mind and prepared. From my experience, it takes more than one year to find the right place. Even a preseason scouting trip is a good idea if time lets you. Good Luck!
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

All very good points griz... I realize its a chance it had just got me wondering. My plan is to go farther than most to get by myself i have ariel photos that im picking out spots on already so theres always a back up plan. I would imagine the warden gives good advice so i like what he said...

Thanks for the reply, Brian

I hunted Dillon the first week of november this past year. I have never seen so many hunters in my life. In saying that you can get away from the crowd but it is not easy. Good Luck.

well crowds are something that can effect anyone any where even on private lands, as it changes patterens of deer, I have private lands I hunt and once the prime time dtates get cklose, people trespass, and or just pressure the edges, so
    to me the best way to avaoid crowds is to hunt dates before the mad dash
    and to be honest, the few couple days of archery might be the best time to kill a big buck, as there the most on patteren they have been all yr
    and many many public lands these days have food plots, cover and water
    so to be honest, the ebst bet to avaoid crowds and up your chances at a big buck, might be hunting the first week
    and getting on them while many folks are planing there rut hnt?

just a thought!
    there is no way I know to predict what and where people will show up, but odds get in your favor the farther you walk in from the road, as most hunters are just lazy to do so
    but then again, small public lands that many folks just over look due to being so small can be hot spots

when you scout, you also have to learn to scout for signs of people/hunters not just deer
    that can help a lot on not getting set up on , on public lands, look for trash, reflective markers or tape, tree's that have been climbed, or branches that have been cut off the ground
    I always did a real good 100 yrd or more search of the area's I liked, so as not to get set up some morning and have a guy walk in at daylight and climb a tree 50 yrds from me(had it happen many times sadly in the past)

if you learn to read hunter sign good, you can actually learn to use it to your advantage
    like getting in extra early and set up 200 yrds past these folks, and let them push deer to you when they ome in!
    good luck

Lots of good points there...

Thanks,Brian

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    If you want room to roam try the Ohio Power lands around Noble County. I've hunted there a number of times and had pretty good success. I would rarely see another hunter in the woods. I always hunted right around Halloween. Plenty of area to get away from people. From what I saw the hunting pressure there in bow season was very light. I no longer hunt there due to owning my own property now. If you send me a PM I'll give you the GPS coordinates of a couple of hot spots.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thread Information