I get what you are saying BB. Starting numbers have to come from somewhere.

But something in the way this study was done just does not clickwith me. For example, in the numbers you used in your last post, those numbers show the deer herd in that locality increasing by 62%. If breeding really did happen like we are talking about, there would be similiar increases in the herd size every year. We know that does not happen, so something has to be off.

Anyway, my thoughts are influenced by the deer herd in my part of Virginia. No doubt your deer herd numbers are different.

No way in my part of Virginia is the buck to doe ratio anywhere near 1:3 or even 1:5. I hate to say it about my fellow western Virginians, but too many of them will shoot anything with antlers (while letting most does walk). A buck deer down here is lucky to make it to 3 years of age. It is very typical for me, or other hunters, to hunt for a week down here and only see does (with maybe a spike thrown in).

Our part of the state probably kills a larger percentage of our bucks than you guys do because we have more days where you can hunt with a gun.

We have an early muzzleloader season from Oct 30 - Nov 12 (the only day you can shoot does is on Nov 6) and a late muzzleloader season from Dec 11 - Jan 1 (you can only shoot does on Jan 1). That is 36 days of muzzleloader hunting with only two days you can shoot does.

We also have a rifle season that runs from Nov 13 - 27. You can now shoot does from Nov 20-27. A few years ago you were limited to only shooting does on one of the rifle season days.

In my part of the state you are allowed to kill 2 bucks and 3 does. In the eastern part of the state you can kill 3 bucks and 3 does.

The state is trying to encourage the killing of more does. We can spend $18 and buy 6 antlerless tags. Yes. For every $18 you are willing to spend, you can kill an additional 6 does.

Maybe these things are the "non-typical" things you are talking about that can influence your buck to doe ratio.