Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEER POPULATION-up or down

I will agree the overall population is down. I think they need to do something. To many doe tags in zone-c.

i agree that numbers are down and also that they need to get rid of so many doe tags

Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    I believe the population is down in areas that are "huntable" to a good number of hunters. Urban areas are always going to be hard to control due to hunting access being harder to acquire.

I think the state is heading in the wrong direction if they are actually planning on a two zone state. IMO we need regulations on smaller chunks of land, I'm suggesting more zones not less. I'd prefer to see the state have eight zones with 11 counties in each. To go to two large zones will make regulating the herd even tougher. I know we will all never agree on how things should be implemented. But, i find it interesting to hear others ideas.
    great idea, they could manage the #'s better that way forsure

Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    I think the state is heading in the wrong direction if they are actually planning on a two zone state. IMO we need regulations on smaller chunks of land, I'm suggesting more zones not less. I'd prefer to see the state have eight zones with 11 counties in each. To go to two large zones will make regulating the herd even tougher. I know we will all never agree on how things should be implemented. But, i find it interesting to hear others ideas.
    I'm with ya completely, you can't both manage effectively and paint with a broad brush. Too many variables across the different geographies of our state. County by county management would be too costly with the resources currently available, and with budgets being what they are right now, adding more resources isn't an option. I'd like to see several things: reducing the overall tags available, evaluating the costs of out of state licences to make them comparable to other destination states, expanding management zones for fine tuning, and regulating the expanding outfitter industry.
    "I'm no scientist, but I might be onto something here. Over the past few years I've noticed that there seems to be a direct correlation between hunting season and angry wife season." - Me

I didnt get to bow hunt as much as usual...only a couple times. I did gun hunt on opening day and that weekend. I can say that i saw the fewest deer in my few days (which may not be a fair comparison) in the woods as i ever have on our farm. Neighbors say the same. Of course they were the ones laying waste to the does the last coupel years.

I would say way down this year. My neighbor and me usually see deer all over the place till the week of gun season , But this year he hunted every day of October and never saw a deer. Myself I have seen very few deer and I put a 100 pounds of corn out and it sat untouched for 2 weeks with only turkeys eating it. Trail cams dont lie :(

Thanks to the State and the new system I believe Poaching will be huge from now on...
    OHIO is now like KY and the deer hunting will be crap from now on...
    I want to die like my father, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming and terrified, like his passengers.

I'm starting to believe you guys on the population being way down, the last few seasons if you guys recall I was constantly busting bedded down does when I was going to my blinds. This year I haven't busted a bedded deer yet......either I've suddenly become a super stealthy hunter.....or the deer pop is way down this season for some reason......I'm leaning toward the latter.LOL We were getting tons of deer on the cams earlier this season (sept-oct) but something has changed in the woods. I sat several days this season without seeing/hearing anything.....not a bird....squirrel....zip!! It was like someone had dropped a bomb back there. And the weird thing is the area I hunt isn't hunted all that hard by other hunters.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

what helps me out is the 1050 ac. H.S. pro-staffers lease across the street ( i'm sure ther aren't coming to ohio for doe's ) south of me -1/2 mile- there is 1400+ ac. of MEAD land that they clearcut 800 ac. of it 4 yrs ago, it looks very thick, that might be helping my deer pop....... like to see just 2 doe limit

Thread Information