Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi .410 Project Sight In Results

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County

Rossi .410 Project Sight In Results

Got a chance to try some slugs through it this morning. Let me say I was a little leary after the comments made on my other thread about gunsmiths not wanting to drill and tap this gun for a scope mount. My initial slug was shot from the hip as I did the shot shells the other day. Everything went OK on the slug test fire. This sighting in was done at 35 yards in hunting conditions. By that I mean sitting on the ground shooting of off a tripod. No sandbags and the gun shouldered.

After that I started sighting in. I had purchasd 10 Remington 2 1/2" 1/5 ounce slugs and 15 3" 1/4 ounce Brennekes. I started with the Remingtons to get close as I knew I wanted to hunt with the Brennekes. The first target kind of tells the story. I shot 4 Remingtons and ended up a decent elevation and windage a bit to the left. I then took a shot with a Benneke and was to the left and a little high. I made an elevation adjustment downward. I ended up with good elevation but still left with my windage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	9650

At this point I adjusted my windage to the right and I felt I was ready to shoot a test group with the Brennekes. Not to bad for shooting off of a tripod at 35 yards. No two shots were more than an inch apart. The group was overall a bit to the right though. I made a slight windage adjust ment to the left and screwed the caps back on the scope. I feel I should be able to hit any deer that steps into range with this rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	9651
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Glad to see things are coming along in a timely manner Dick!!! Looks like you'll be in the woods next weekend! Go get them and good luck buddy!!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Looks like it's gonna work out. Can't beat that with a stick.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. Hopefully these little slugs perform well on a deer. I think out to 50 yards they should do well. The Brennekes are by far superior to the Remington, Winchester and Federal offerings. I expect the Brennekes to make complete pass throughs on rib cage shots out to 50 yards. Not a lot of kinetic energy, but a hole in both lungs will be deadly.

well looks good and I agree
    a hole in both lungs will lead right to meat in the freezer!

a few seasons ago I started shooting Brenneke Slugs in my 12 guage slug gun... rifle slugs in a smoothbore barrel with open sights... my test runs with the slugs proved to be very accurate at 50 yds and I set out the my gun and a box full of brennekes for the week long gun season... wasn't long before I a good looking lone doe standing broadside at 30 yards... I put the gun up, found my spot, pulled the trigger and CLICK! nothing... as I chambered another round the doe took off and I didn't haven't a very good shot so i just sat there wondering what had happened as she waved good bye with her big white tail... I left the woods after that because it's hard to hunt if you are not confident that your weapon is going to do what it is supposed to when you need it to! I took the gun and that box of rounds out and shot the rest of the box... every other round miss fired... not sure if i got a bad batch or what? But, I expect that if i am going to pay more for a product it should do what it is supposed to! so I wrote to brenneke and explained what had happened and no response... needless to say i haven't hunted with brenneke rounds since... not saying this is the norm but, i'd hate to have it happen to somebody else and with that kind of customer service not replying to my letter i have no problems sharing my story...

anyway best of luck Dick! surely hope your results are much better than the hunt i just shared!!!

Too bad that happened while hunting. I have a Savage 93 22 Mag that has the same problem with Winchester ammo. But, I did a little research and found that Winchester uses a harder brass than CCI or Hornady that I've never had a misfire with.

The advantage the Brennekes have for the .410 is a much harder alloy slug. This helps them hold together and give much better penetration, but not a lot of expansion. Expansion may be an issue, only time will tell. I'm thinking this little slug will be comparable to an arrow in some ways. So a double lung shot will work the best.

I find it odd that some companies have great customer service and others do not. One would think that Brenneke would bend over backwards to keep you buying their slugs that are 50% higher priced than most of the competitors. I can't blame you for not wanting to continue using their products.

anyway... I am excited to hear how that thing works out for you! seems like it is going to be a cool little gun to hunt with!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Hortontoter thanks for all the effort you put into all of this in showing what kind of accuracy you are getting. Might be enough information that someone else can use for themselves or perhaps a youth that's a little intimidated by a 20 or 12 gauge.

Hope the best for you and Im really interested in results on a deer! Hope you let the air out of one!

Mike

Thread Information