Thread: This Weeks Project

Hybrid View

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County

This Weeks Project

After sitting home the week of deer gun season I decided I needed to get back to gun hunting. My doctor has advised me to no longer shoot shotguns or high powered rifles. But, I thought why not a .410. Not enough recoil there to bother my chest after my open heart surgery. So the search began earlier this week. I knew a single shot would suit me best for this little project. On Tuesday morning I found what I was looking for. A Rossi youth combo with a 22" modified .410 barrel and a .22LR barrel. Two things caught my eye on the internet ad. A $50 price was good and the .410 barrel already had a base mount for a scope. Now the catch, the ejector didn't work on the .410 barrel. It was missing a pin to keep tension on the ejector spring. I figured I didn't need the .22 so I would steal that pin and use it in the .410. The stock and forearm had been painted black with a brush. Again no big deal, I use my guns not display them. After looking at the pin in the .22 barrel I thought I could just make one. I took a heavy finishing nail, cut it to the correct length and walla, an easy fix. I took the .410 out yesterday for test firing. Everything worked fine. Next step I headed to my basement to find the next intregal part, a scope. Alas, I foung a 4X Bushnell that had a price sticker of $5.00 on it. Where I got it who knows, but I never pass up a steal at the flea market. I'll be headed out later this morning to pick up a set of rings and will get the scope mounted. I'll be testing some slugs early next week and plan to have this thing in the woods a week from Saturday. Hope a fat doe ambles by to field test it.

Not much to look at but I'm confident that when I'm done it will do the job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	9644
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thats a pretty cool gun Dick. Whats the effective range on it? I hope a deer walks out in front of you.

OK sounds like a fun deal
    do you know what choke is on the barrel??
    anything past Modified, might be a problem with slugs, most shotgun barrels for slugs are either open, cylinder, or improved cylinder
    just a heads up, as if it has a full or extra full, it can be too tight for many slugs and cause them to fly funny, or ??
    also if you do find it has some recoil you can always ad weight top the butt stock to help there too
    good luck
    look forward to how it works out

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    The effective range depends a lot on the slug used in my opinion, but it will be short regardless. From what I've gathered in some quick research the Brenneke slugs have a big advantage over the other companies. Brenneke uses a harder alloy and a heavier slug. They cost more, but I would say they are worth the additional cost. The .410 is a controversial gauge to use on deer. Most say it should be used only at short range and by an expert marksman. I plan to shoot no more than 40 to 50 yards, and as you all know, I am an expert marksman lol.

The choke is modified which hopefully shoots decent. Only time will tell that.

Making progress this morning. I got the lowest rings I could that would allow room for my thumb to cock the hammer. I hate high rings on any gun. I set up my rests I use on the bench and got her boresited. Next step is to find some slugs and see how she groups.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	project2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	9645
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Very nice job Hortontoter!! Sounds like you are well on your way to being ready for gun season!! Will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy you can get out of it!

Sounds like a hell of a deal all around Dick. Hope it works good for you. Can't wait to hear. Back in the day they outlawed the .410 for deer hunting because it was supposed to have the effectiveness of a rifle, as I'm sure you well know. Shouldn't have a problem as far as I can see. I used one when I was younger and it was still legal. I liked it.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

50 bucks Dick??!!!!......I'm surprised you were willing to spend that much!LOL That's a heck of a deal Dick.....it can also be your backup coon gun when we go coon hunting!
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Thread Information