Thread: Public vs. Private

Hybrid View

Most definetly you need to put in the foot work. You can look at all the maps you want and it may look like like it would hold alot of deer, but thats not always the case. You don't see the pressure put on that area on a map. You don't know the kind of deer it holds either, they may not be up to the standards you have set.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

hey in the early yrs of hunting Ohio, a 7+ hr drive for me, I used to make some trips in the summer to go ask local land owners and scout and see what crops were planted where , and called it a vacation of sorts
    might be able to get the wife or other half to tag along to make it an easier sell too
    there are tons of great places in Ohio to have great odds on public land
    I think too many folks get hung up on needing private land to enjoy and be successful , and its just so not true
    just hunting the begining of the season ups your odds a lot on having lands to yourself, and unpressured deer, and on a good note it allows you to learn the area and if you don't do well, lots of time to get a second trip in again can sell the other half on the fact you already have a lic and tag you paid good money for LOl

I would also highly suggest talking to park rangers on your trips to where ever you hunt, they can be super nice folks ancd can tell you where deer are and even maybe lead to private land access on crop damaged lands and or just folks they know if asked will allow
    you get out of things what you put in

and theer are tons of cabin rental places in prime hunting areas that have better than average lodging to get the other half to come too, good fishing in Ohio too! lol
    good luck!

Thread Information