Thread: Post Rut Strategy????

Post Rut Strategy????

Guys important question from this first year bow hunter. I am guessing the best of the rut has come and gone. What should my strategy be now. Should I still be hanging my estrus scents in the trees and dragging it around the area. Or will this throw them off and make them not come around. Also, will their patterns go back to normal with what I was tracking with the trail cam. I dont want to make a mistake and be giving them a heads up. I know temps will be falling this evening planning on going out. Let me know my fellow hunters!!!

also what type of call should I be using??? Doe Grunt, Mature Buck Grunt, Young Doe, the Bleats ???

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    JMHO I would say toss the estrous for a while. They have likely been exposed to it repeatedly over the last month or two and have figured out it's not what they think. Maybe some time without it and they would find it exciting again. Some does will still be bred over the next couple of weeks but not many. Focus on food and cover, esp cover once the lead starts flying next week.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Oh and calls, would say the basic non-mature buck grunt and doe calls would be best. Keep in mind if people in your area have been blowing calls like instruments the last two months they might not be effective.

I'd dump the estrous. But that's just my opinion, I never use it.

Also, I think there's still some rut activity going on now. Gun season will probably ruin it. But I'd hunt food now in hopes a buck comes through to check does.

I am using corn. Is that enough or will buying any of that stuff at the store help attract them anymore or anyless? The last couple times i have been out i have see absolutely no activity. Trail cam still shows most activity coming through in the afterhours.

Save your money! Most of the deer movement right now is after hours. Post rut hunting is tough!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

Thread Information