Thread: Looking for tips on Hunting in Mid Januray.

Looking for tips on Hunting in Mid Januray.

Hi, I am from New York and a buddy and myself are looking to hunt Ohio in Mid January. Is there any good advice anyone has? Neither of us have been to Ohio before, his uncle has and I believe he suggested the Wayne National Forest. Does any have any suggestions to "narrow" down our hunting area so we can look for places to stay etc. Thank you for any assitance

well mid Jan can be a tuff time, to hunt, many bucks lots there antlers, and just less out there than in Oct
    But this time of yr they are looking for food, most guys gave up and well you can have more land to yourself

as for info, well no one really likes to give up there hunting spots on an open forum, as if they do, there good spots wn't be good long

as for the wayne its a great place
    I strongly suggest going to there head quarters near neilsonville just out side of Athens
    and get some current up to date info on where logging has been going on, where if any food plots are still standing,and if nothing lese get MAPS there, they have lots of maps of the Wanye hunting area's
    you can also try to ask a ranger there for places to try, ask about any areas that are known to have lots of deer, deer damage to local crops and such, then MAYBE if you get good info, maybe you can even ask if they know of any farmers that allow folks to hunt if they ask
    or ones that complain about crop damage
    and maybe get access to some private lands
    Not that private lands are any better some times, but there might be some more food on a farm than the woods this time of yr, and well legally you cannot bait on public lands, but if given permission on private lands you can try dumping some corn out and leave it be for a few days before hunting over/near it and see if that helps

I suggest taking a day once there to scout different places and try to find any standing crops and get close to to them for evenings

if your lucky there will be snow, and that will for sure help you find fresh sign and then get on it

Good Luck!

Thank you mrbb, I completely understand that people would not want to give up their spots. I hunt the Adirondacks of New York and that is big woods hunting and as we call it "the secret gardens" can be hard to find. Our season ends December 9th out here and my buddy and I are looking to get out in the woods for a few more days.

I have read that you defiantly need to get maps from the rangers as the private land intermingles with the public land. I appreciate the tip to stop into Neilsonville, we defiantly will do that. That at least gives us an idea as to an area to look for motels.

Thank you so much for the info.

I suggest a buddy heater, a blind, and 250 lbs of corn

If your like me and are still hunting in mid January......a small clean towel is always a great idea.....to wipe way those end of the season tears!LOL
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

I sent you a PM with some things to look at you might find useful

Thread Information