Thread: Strategy.... Advice from the Vets Please

Hybrid View

I'm no vet but I didn't see the so called "lockdown fase" of the rut but this weekend has me wondering if there not locked down right now bc I am havin the same issue we have seen 4 deer in the last 2 mornings and evening total and we were seeing 15-25 deer a day and this isn't bc of high pressure of youth season for me b I have only seen 1 person on our prop youth hunting. Maybe it's bc the deer really aren't color blind and they see the orange and there like oh shit! Haha Jk I honestly have no explanation other than there maybe locked down right now. This slowness started getting really slow Thursday

well, I don't know if I am a vet, but been hunting a long time
    I think most folks a few weeks ago were hunting food source's
    and well now that most crops have been harvested/cut and feed patterns have changed, then add in the rut and the hunting pressure
    many many deer just go noctural, and as such hunting them, has to be a little different than weeks before
    deer lost a ton of cover in the crops, and same as now leaves are off

and weather?? well here it was warm, then cold then warm, then windy and so on, all that changes there movements if you ask me

this time of yr you really need to be hunting near doe bedding area's, bucks are where does are
    find does, and set up there is my suggestion, all day sits too
    same deal, as evening hunts, deer will come out to feed at food sources, but hunting closer to bedding area's this time of yr is a higher odds set to me, as they are coming out to feed later and later due to all the above, so being closer ups your odds of one walking past in legal shooting light
    rut no rut, deer have to still eat, and that menas bucks and doe's
    where doe's go bucks follow this time of yr

not sure if this helps you or not
    but hang in there every sit in the woods gets you closer than sitting at home ever will!
    Good luck

Thanks for the therapy and great info guys. I feel bettwr all ready ha.
    MrBB, I have a spot I can use my climber right inside tree line that is about 50yards from a good bedding area, I'll be sure to hit that up tomorrow am!

Thread Information