Thread: Trying to make sense of this years Rut

Trying to make sense of this years Rut

Alright guys need some help hear first all I hunt in Madison county near plain city. I have been out a lot my work schedule lets me get out a lot I've been out pretty heavy since November 1st . I have seen does and sometimes in large numbers and the last 3 days I have seen family groups. I did miss a large 10 pt. last night as he was digging up a scrape and licking a limb. My question is have my does just not come into estrous yet in my area? I mean 9 does this morning and not even one young buck out there chasing haven't seen a chase yet.

Tonight in southern Delaware county (from about 4:30 pm to 8:00 pm) I have passed four (4) bucks, and 12 does, all along, or crossing nearby roadways. I think it's 'On like Donkey Kong' this weekend.

I am noticing the same thing and have had the same question. This evening in my stand, near a cut bean field, I watched several groups of does. I fully expected to see some good action after reading some of the threads on here. The bucks never showed. I watched different groups of does, 9 in total, feed for 45 minutes before last light. I have seen a couple small bucks in the past couple weeks, always alone, and they didn't appear to be rutting. I am hunting in Richland county. Anyone else?

Carroll county is the same thing. I know there are bucks there. But in a area that was hit hard last year with rubs and scrapes only has a few rubs and two scrapes that were just put in the last week.

Not to sure if many does are in estrus yet I really don't no either I no bucks are pushing does but haven't seen much deal chasing

Slow in Belmont Co. as well didnt see a deer this am.

So is the good part of hunting just a matter of time before it gets good?

I to would like to know the answer to the question above.

As I have said in other threads, they have been breeding over the last week. That does't mean good hunting is over. The words bad and hunting don't go together. As Bowguy2 knows, I shot a nice ten in January last year. Some of the best times IMO comes soon after breeding is over.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Thread Information