Thread: My First Miss And I Hate The Taste Of Failure

Hybrid View

Your right small target if I had it to do all over again I prolly still wouldn't have taken it

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Making mistakes is how we learn. At least you learned somthing and didn't have to pay a high price in doing so. Putting a bullet through a small window and putting an arrow through a small window is not comparable in my opinion. I'm sure that this experience will make you a better hunter in the long run. Get back out there and get another crack at him. Just wait for a good opportunity.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Glad you didn't! I will never take a spine shot!! I want the most clean, ethical shot, I can possibly get!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

To defend myself here, I don't take that shot if it's the only one I have. I don't make a habit of it. Only a couple of times in 40 years have I took that shot. Here is the way I see it. If you miss high, no harm done. If you aim in the right place and your low, you may get a piece of the vitals. You have to take in consideration it's been a long time since I hunted from a tree. I'm talking about shooting from the ground broadside. I never took a shot on a deer from a tree stand as it was walking under me. I wouldn't take a shot if I didn't think I could make it, to me that is ethical. Plenty of guys, and even some on here have admitted to messing up a shot and actually hit the deer in the neck or in the hind quarter. Seen deer with broadheads stuck in their eyes. I don't see the difference.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Hudson, Ohio I hunt mostly in Jefferson County
    Just be glad it was a clean miss. I have no issues with someone taking a spine shot if they are a competent shooter and finish the deer of quickly. It is just something that I choose not to do.

Thread Information